Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

v9 GUI likes dislikes enhancements and bugs

Post by averylarry »

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a huge difference . . . And of course gui is subjective and depends on personal tastes. Something can be 95% perfect but still have room for improvement, even if it's a small thing. File much of this under that "last 5%" category.

My absolute biggest hatred of the pre-v.9 gui ... In the main jobs window you would highlight a job to look at its stats. Then you would scroll up/down to look at the list of other jobs (to see what else was running or whatever) *without* actually wanting to click on any of the other jobs. When the currently selected job would scroll off the window (up or down) the window would readjust so that the selected job was visible in the jobs window. I'm at super excited that v.9 does not have this behavior !! Woo hoo!

Directly related to this -- the ACTION area of the detailed job area of the Jobs window will autoscroll to the bottom of a running job. It will not stay where you scroll to. It has about an 8 second delay and it's most likely due to the last ACTION line updating. A very very minor thing that might have as many people liking the autoscroll behavior as not.

OK -- this one I hope most people will agree with me on. When I quickly glance at the jobs windows I find it very difficult to see which jobs are running. The disabled jobs really pop out at you with the bright red icon over the gear icon. The small weak green arrow just isn't easy to see. As an enhancement request, please consider making the running job icon much more obvious. Maybe the entire gear icon could be green. Maybe just a brighter and/or bigger green arrow.

I will agree with others I've seen who do not like the all caps. I don't really mind it for column headers. I dislike it everywhere else -- ESPECIALLY in places like the footer. All caps should not be used for normal sentences. 1 JOB SELECTED SUPPORT: 46 DAYS REMAINING If nothing else the footer is inconsistent with the jobs windows where STATUS shows Stopped instead of STOPPED. As an enhancement request please consider a better consistency with what is and what is not in all caps. Also please consider an all caps font that isn't so thin/fine (or maybe just bold everything that is all caps).

And finally (for my first post anyway) -- I do have a bug. Well maybe bug is a little strong -- an inconsistentcy that could cause confusion in the gui. This is in the detailed jobs statistics window, for replications, when you click on the individual VM on the left and have the VMs ACTION list. There is a line that says "Network traffic throttling is enabled". When the replication VM has only 1 virtual disk, this line item shows no DURATION, as I would expect (it is merely informational). However, when the replication VM has multiple disks, the DURATION actually shows a time, which is just a little longer than the first virtual disk's time. Again, I don't quite think this is a bug that needs a support ticket -- but I would say it's not exactly right.

I hope I don't sound whiny and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just promoting my own personal tastes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: v9 GUI likes dislikes enhancements and bugs

Post by Gostev »

Good feedback, thanks Ted.

Action area is actually a bug that was too late to fix when it was logged. The action logs is supposed to stay static if you scroll into any specific position. It should only start auto-scrolling when you scroll the view back to the very bottom.
mmcnally
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark McNally

[MERGED]: V9 UI

Post by mmcnally »

Guys,

What happened with v9?

It's back to Windows8/Metro and awful neon green with all caps.

My eyes may never recover..
kleptos18
Novice
Full Name: Jason

Post by kleptos18 »

I don't like that harsh bright lime green, but that's just me.
kryptoem
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Etienne Munnich

Post by kryptoem »

Enterprise Manager Logo spelling error: Standart Version.
kryptoem
Influencer

Post by kryptoem » 1 person likes this post

- guest interaction proxies - life savers
- Gateway + Mount Servers

Dislikes:
- Enterprise Manager Errors stats are incorrect
- Reports error even after the retry is successfull - - in my mind this should be reported as a warning

Wishlist:
- more integration of Enterprise Manager into Veeam Console
- per veeam backup/replica/lab notification option
- we run jobs with up to 15 VMs (1.5TB max)
- Backup Team gets enterprise manager report
- VM owners need an emailed report
- LINUX BASED PROXY!!!!! Competitors have had this option for years.
- optional wizzard that asks/discovers for what types of source storage you have, destination storage, tape etc and checks if settings are running to best practise
- Particularily important for dedup and compression settings
- report on whether test settings A are better than test settings B
- configurable dash in enterprise manager
(group backups / VM as needed, per SLA requirement)
- Support for more storrage arrays:
- IBM v5000,7000,9000 and SVC
- Tintri
- Purestorage
- iXsystems
- Clustered Veeam Console with Delegation based on Backup jobs
kryptoem
Influencer

Post by kryptoem »

I would like to see Ansible and Chef support as well.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

The old, scroll up/down but it keeps snapping back to selected job drove me BAT POOP CRAZY!! Glad that's fixed. Thanks Veeam.
I'd have to pay more attention, but it seems the throughput graph doesn't refresh/display consistently. Seems like I have to click a couple times (all time/last 5 minutes) to get it to update the first time, then from there it runs normally. When first firing up the stats it'll just be blank until I click on it a couple times. I dunno.
The lime green is a bit much but it's fine. THE ALL CAPS DOESN'T BOTHER ME BUT I'M NOT THAT PICKY. Coworkers have also noticed the new square/plain/blocky theme, Metro, is it? They mentioned something about Windows 10 looking interface. Also fine w/ me, whatever. It's a utility tool, not a fashion accessory.

Overall, some very big wins. I would like to see in the stats some raw currently read vs. written numbers. I know I can hover in spots on the throughput graph, but would like to see written along w/ read maybe somewhere in the Action (ACTION? haha) pane? Especially when I'm reading at 400-800MB/s (impressive) but have to hover and investigate to see that I'm only writing at 24MB/s (hmm).

Question, if this is the place to ask, but proxies - "same subnet" vs. "different subnet" status during active backup, what does that mean? Is this important? Is there something I need to fix? Etc.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Re-posting my response regarding "awful neon green" and a few other things from [now locked] v9 release thread which also had a few notes on UI:
Gostev wrote:UI design is subjective, so we trust our design team on these decisions. Of course, we cannot possibly hope that every single user will like our design (just like there is no universal color that everyone likes). However, designers can ensure that the majority of people will find the design appealing.

Specific to ALL CAPS in certain places (like column names), I personally love it for example... again, everyone has a different perception.

Generally speaking, my recommendation regarding the new UI is to use it for at least 2 weeks, and then try to go back to v8. THIS will be the moment when you will really appreciate the new design. By now I've seen this happen to more than one person here at Veeam, those who were very skeptical about it initially.

That is not to say this is the final UI - just like every other feature, we will iterate and keep improving it based on the feedback. For example, I know that a few icons here and there need to be improved, and I am also hoping to add some themes to it - for those who have monitors with ugly green color representation (I used to have one myself a few years ago, so I know what it's like).
As well as my response regarding same old issues with non-default DPI and large fonts, since I am sure this will come up otherwise:
Gostev wrote:Yes, we perfectly realize that and in fact, new applications we have developed recently (such as Veeam Endpoint Backup) fully support DPI scaling, and are tested on high DPI monitors.

On the other hand, Veeam Backup & Replication UI is 10 years old and is based on technologies that do not properly support DPI scaling. With hundreds of dialogs (literally), it's a huge undertaking to re-write everything to modern UI technologies which support DPI scaling. That said, this is definitely on our radar - in fact, this is the "next big thing" for our UI team. And with v9, we've actually made the first step already (the new setup wizard supports high DPI).
Also, please keep in mind that as per the title, this is a GUI feedback thread, so I will be mercilessly destroying (or editing out) posts about Linux proxies, storage arrays, unrelated bugs and what not :D you have until zero hours tomorrow to repost all off-topic elsewhere! :wink:

Just please don't migrate multiple unrelated requests into the new single topic, as we do want to be able to discuss each one separately (and moreover, using search you will find that most features you can possibly imagine have already been requested before, and have the dedicated discussions going already).
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed » 3 people like this post

Good point on going back to v8 GUI. We're doing a migratory upgrade rather than in-place, and after a good week+ now, I cringe when I have to go look up old stuff in our v8 console. Interesting, and well played, Veeam.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

"different subnet" status during active backup, what does that mean? Is this important? Is there something I need to fix?
Please check here.
samh22a
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by samh22a »

at this moment.. I hate the v9 gui.
looks like a v1 product.. some small improvement, but the overall look and feel is wrong.
doesn't look a top backup product..more like a toy

let's hope a future improvement will fix this and provide a more classy theme.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

samh22a wrote:doesn't look a top backup product..more like a toy
Can you give us an example of how do you expect "top backup product" to look?
May be link some screenshots of other top backup products' UI that you like?
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

Gostev wrote:Specific to ALL CAPS in certain places (like column names), I personally love it for example... again, everyone has a different perception.

Generally speaking, my recommendation regarding the new UI is to use it for at least 2 weeks, and then try to go back to v8. THIS will be the moment when you will really appreciate the new design. By now I've seen this happen to more than one person here at Veeam, those who were very skeptical about it initially.
I did as you suggested and tried out the UI for two weeks. MY EYES ARE STILL UNHAPPY WITH THE ALL CAPS IN THE INTERFACE. While I don't have a v8 available to go back to, I didn't have any problems with the UI. I'd be happy to have the look of v8 back. My interest in v9 was for the functional improvements.

I am also with the others in that lime green is not my favorite. I prefer when applications respect the system color settings.

Some things I do like about the v9 UI:

1. The job history now has the used space listed in parenthesis when the VM size is listed.
2. In Backups > Disk, the Endpoint Backups are all grouped together. (I'm not 100% sure, but I thought they were ungrouped in v8.)
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

I think the UI styling is great and the responsiveness of the system seems to be better than 8, maybe due to splitting the console out? So good job with that!

I'm not sure if other people feel the same way but I wish there was some sort of category in the nav pane which displayed a list of jobs that require attention, perhaps 'Tasks'?
When it comes to Veeam the main things I check for are Failed Jobs and the progress of jobs still running. We have 143 jobs in one console alone. I know these can all be checked in different areas but that involves a fair bit of clicking and sorting to get the information I'm after, and I like to check back on the console a few times a day to see how things are going.

Clicking on 'Jobs' at the very top of the tree is the best option I have since it shows everything, Status shows the % of transfer or merging\compaction of all jobs without the need to click on the job but this also includes Idle\stopped jobs which creates long gaps in the list that I don't care about. I can also sort this by last result to get the failures. The problem here is there is a lot of scrolling\sorting.

I can also use the 'Running' option under 'Last 24 hours'. This is great for trimming the list down a bit but the status here only shows 'working' and some columns are missing such as 'target'.

The 'Failed' option under 'Last 24 hours' would be slightly more useful to me if it only showed Jobs that have finished all reties and ended in a failed state. ie: I need to fix the problem and manually retry. But I'm sure changing that would annoy some other people.

This could probably be sorted with an ability to filter and add\remove columns to the UI in a custom job view. That's just one persons opinion :) I'm sure you guys will keep improving things!

Thanks.
Cullan
dotelpenguin
Lurker
Full Name: Andrew Baker

[MERGED] Minor GUI Glitches in B&R 9 Console with Dual+ moni

Post by dotelpenguin »

Case # 01686614

I was told by Veeam support to place this here instead of opening case. So here it is.

Multi-Monitor setup (3 in my case)

Glitch 1: Task bar is configured to exist on all monitors, and only show applications running on current monitor. Veeam console does not adhere to this. Veeam console task bar will always remain on the Main/Primary monitors task bar. Even if application exists or is moved to separate monitor.

Glitch 2: If Veeam Backup and Replication Console is running on NON-MAIN/Primary monitor, additional dialog boxes (licensing, new job wizard, etc) will be opened on primary monitor, not the monitor console is on.

See attached picture for examples. This does not affect our backups in any way, however it can be frustrating when you open a dialog box and it appear on a different monitor, then I wait for a bit and/or click the button again until I realize that it's open on my other screen. This becomes a bigger problem if application on primary monitor has top focus, Veeam dialog box will open under application and not be visible.

This behavior exists on both my Windows 7 workstation, and our 2008 R2 Terminal server if Multi-monitor RDP is enabled.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for reporting this, Andrew, passing to QA for confirmation.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Yep, same here w/ remote console. If I have a Veeam dialog box open, it hides somewhere, not showing on the taskbar, leaving me to wonder why I'm getting beeped at when I'm clicking on the main app until I finally figure out I have a dialog box open that I didn't see. Annoying but simple fix and certainly not a show stopper. Two monitors in my case.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
ben.gring
Novice
Full Name: Benjamin Gring

[MERGED] : Feature request - font type and size for veeam 9

Post by ben.gring »

Feature request on behalf of customer.

since going to veeam 9 the customer finds the font is hard to read, Customer would like the ability to change the font size in application.
Ctek
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Re: [MERGED] : Feature request - font type and size for veea

Post by Ctek »

ben.gring wrote:since going to veeam 9 the customer finds the font is hard to read, Customer would like the ability to change the font size in application.
+1 on this, we have a lot of jobs and the fonts appears a little less clear and more fuzzy. Clearly it is harder to read.

Otherwise, The first post of this topic is rather spot-on, I agree with it.

Great job on v9.
VMCE
samh22a
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by samh22a »

Gostev wrote: Can you give us an example of how do you expect "top backup product" to look?
May be link some screenshots of other top backup products' UI that you like?
Veeam V8 ! :-)
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

I see we have not removed the FLR restore session ~30 minute timeout - which will close itself if you don't just happen to be sitting there staring at it - has not been removed in v9. Please don't forget that for dedupe devices you could be waiting a very long time for it to mount the restore point. :evil: Is the disable still the same in the registry as v8 was?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, the key should still be there (and FLR should be working much faster from dedupe devices in v9, too).
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Thanks, cranked mine up. My FLR might have been done for some time, apparently the GUI status had frozen. Updating the database freed up the status dialog box but I didn't get to see how long it took, rate, etc. Oh well, I got my files back which is the important part.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 1 person likes this post

MY EYES ARE STILL UNHAPPY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS IN THE UI. I TOLERATE IT, BUT HAVE NOT ADJUSTED TO IT.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

I think i asked this before but a last run time instead a Failed / warning / success. One now has to check the date if a job actually ran (not talking about veeam one etc..), maybe even a finish time would also be nice.
So Last result: Success 08/25/2016 03:48
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 2 people like this post

ALL CAPS has been replaced by mixed case in V11. My eyes are very grateful!