Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
btanguay
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Benoit Tanguay

V9 - Use per-VM backup files - Recommandations

Post by btanguay »

Hi,

I'm using the new v9 version and want to see if anybody has recommandations for the new option "Use per-VM backup files" from the repository advanced option?

I'm using has first repository for backup a NAS device (qnap) and and EMC ddDomain with DDBoost for the second repository (backup copy).
I understand that the dddomain will be a good option to select, but i was more looking to see if anybody has experience with that option with NAS device (like qnap or other).
My backup copy job got is source from the nas device and destination is the dddomain. If i let the option uncheck on the source device and check it for the destination, is that gonna have any impact (positive or negative).

So basically, any recommandations or experience with that option?
Thanks
Benoit.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: V9 - Use per-VM backup files - Recommandations

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Benoit,
I'd personally use per-vm chains everywhere, as it has so many advatagesover regular chains.
This said, the property is linked to the repository, not the the VM or the job, so you can use regular chains in the qnap and per-vm chains in the DD appliance without any issue. But I will honestly enable it in both. Just remember you will need to run a manual active full backup to switch an existing backup job to per-vm.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1