Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
just2test
Novice
Liked: never

VBK File Problem

Post by just2test »

Hello,

i am currently evaluating Veeam for my environment. I am using vsphere and installed veeam to backup about 90 vms.
The job ran 15 hours an backed up 3,2 TB to a file with 880 GB. So far so good.
But then i realized i made a mistake. In the job i had chosen one vm and wanted to exclude all disks except the first.
But that setting was applied to all vms. So i changed it and started the job again. New calculated amount of data: 6,8 TB.

I started the job again, but after some minutes i noticed that veeam renamed my Backup file "Backup1.vbk" to "Backup12010-03-30T160028.vbk" and started a new "Backup1.vbk"

Why?

What is deduplication good for if it creates new files? I do not have enough space for an everyday vbk file with several TB.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: VBK File Problem

Post by Gostev »

Hello, from your description it looks like you have initiated full backup on the job instead of simply starting the job.
just2test
Novice

Post by just2test »

Gostev wrote:Hello, from your description it looks like you have initiated full backup on the job instead of simply starting the job.
OK, i am not sure, maybe. Can i just delete the old file "Backup12010-03-30T160028.vbk" ?
Or is there any way to let veeam do it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam will do it automatically according you your retention policy. You can also delete it by hand, but then restore points will still be present in configuration database and if you attempt to restore to earlier point in time the restore would fail due to the file missing.
just2test
Novice

Post by just2test »

Gostev wrote:Veeam will do it automatically according you your retention policy. You can also delete it by hand, but then restore points will still be present in configuration database and if you attempt to restore to earlier point in time the restore would fail due to the file missing.
OK that doesnt matter. Thanks a lot for your help.