Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

VBR Console => Restore Proxy?

Post by VladV »

We started using the remote console functionality of V9 for basic monitoring tasks. We then tried using it for basic restore tasks just to find out that instead of restoring the files directly from the backup server to the destination, it moved the files through the station hosting the console! What's the point in doing it this way? I mean, I was getting 1/2 of the throughput and 2x restore time until I figured out what was happening.

Is there a way to have a basic remote console? As in send commands to the backup server?
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Re: VBR Console => Restore Proxy?

Post by widmerkarl »

Hi Vlad,

This is a "normal" but perhaps unexpected feature. When you install the standalone console on another machine then the Veeam Backup Server, this specific machine becomes also the role of a "Mount Server" installed.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsph ... erver.html

So perhaps you have to check the backup jobs and also in the restore you will have to define the specific Mount Server.
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, remote console also holds the role of the mount server, which was most likely used in your case. You can assign this role to any other server in repository settings.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

The repository from which I was pulling the restore points has the mount server pointed to the backup server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What kind of restore was it? Restore to original location or saving files to some local folder using the Copy To option? In the latter case, the backup is indeed mounted to the remote console server to retrieve files (since it is supposed that your target is in the same location, where you're starting the restore process from). However restore to original location should go through the mount server specified for the repository (backup server in your case). If you feel this is not the case, I recommend contacting support for verification.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

[MERGED] Veeam Console

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

we are planning to use 1 Veeam B&R server for managing 20 branch offices. Each brach office is configured with a local repository and a mount server/guest index machine. Due to the Veeam Console we are able to login to the Veeam Console on each location, and the head office.

When an administrator on the head office wants to restore an individual file of a branch office A, with the Veeam Explorer : How is traffic handled ? Will there be network traffic between head office and branch office A regarding data restore traffic ?

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Console

Post by Shestakov »

Hi!
Are you at the newest product version?
Starting from v9, there is an option to restore locally in the branch office.
Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Re: Veeam Console

Post by lowlander »

is that only when using restore to Original location ?

Sometimes cu wants to restore to another location. Is it valid to say that when you do a copy to (in a restore process)... al traffic will pass the machine where the console / explorer is running ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, in case of using the Copy To option, the backup is mounted to the server initiating the restore.
torteflo
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

[MERGED] Mount Server used is not the expected

Post by torteflo »

Hi,

I am a Veeam partner and one of my customers encountered lately an issue with v9 which I am very concerned of.

If I am right, mount server was one of the major new option of B&R version 9 for ROBO architecture.
This is what we got here, with one Veeam backup server at HQ and one repository + one proxy server at each remote site.
On the repository the mount server option is set to the same site veeam proxy VM.
This, because, don't knnow why initially, the repository server has just a share, and is not a managed server by Veeam. If it was managed, I would have set himself, the repository server, as a mount server.

So when, from the HQ, the administrator want to restore a guest file (5GB) from a remote office, at the same remote office (original location), he launches the restore wizard.
Then FLR component is mounting the backup to the mount server which is..... the machine running the veeam console! either the admin PC, or the backup server.
Why does Veeam do not use the remote site proxy server to mount the file stored on the repository of same site ?

The fact is, when using a machine at HQ as mount server, transfer rate are really bad obviously, and FLR can stop because of timeout.

This customer has created a support case which I don't have the number yet, but I am really concerned for future customers.
Please help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hello, actual restore to original location should use mount to the proxy server VM in your case. However initial mount (with the purpose of browsing files) is indeed performed to the server where the restore is launched.
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

This feature request is similar to the one I just posted:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/rfe-specify ... 34715.html

I need to be able to specify the mount server when I do powershell restore. In fact it should be possible to specify it also in the VBR console wizard driven restore.
torteflo
Enthusiast

Post by torteflo »

Hi,
ok, now and with this link I understood everything :
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... arios.html

Thank you for the answers.

As I understand this, this is only a partial improvement...
As half (and first!) part of the FLR process is always generating traffic on the backup server, which is in HQ for my customer.
In fact my customer's support case creation did not work, he told me today..
But I hope he won't try again to create a case because things are clearer for me.

So now the only solution I see is to install Veeam console on each veeam proxy server at remote sites, and use it for restore.
So is there any conflict or trouble installing the Veeam remote console components on a Veeam proxy server?
Or do you think about other suggestion to improve our bandwidth usage here please? Thanks for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

torteflo wrote:As half (and first!) part of the FLR process is always generating traffic on the backup server, which is in HQ for my customer.
Correct. However, the only data downloaded from the remote server in this case are MFT blocks required to provide the file system state for you to browse it, actual restore traffic is kept local.
torteflo wrote:So is there any conflict or trouble installing the Veeam remote console components on a Veeam proxy server?
There should not be any troubles with this approach.
torteflo
Enthusiast

Post by torteflo »

ok, thanks for your answer.
bernd.dausch
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bernd Dausch

[MERGED] Veeam B&R 9 - Remote Console and File Level Restore

Post by bernd.dausch »

Hello Veeam,

we use B&R 9.0.0.1491 and use Windows 2012 R2 Storage Server als Backup Repository. The Mount-Server on every Backup Repository
points to the Repository Himself.

When we start a File Level Restore the Backup was mounted on the Server/Client that runs the Veeam B&R Remote Console.

We have two Problems:

- Recovery from Files over VPN Connections Slow
- When the Recovery Console runs as non privileged User on a Windows Admin PC, i cant see all Files because of missing ntfs rights.

any Tips?

Best Regards,

bernd
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hello Bernd. Depending on the restore option (restore to original location or copying files to some other folder), the actual restore process is using different servers for mounting backup files. In case of restore to original location, mount to remote console is used with the purpose of browsing file system only, actual restore should go through the mount to repository server. What kind of restore are you using?
clement.cromology
Novice
Full Name: Clement ODOT

[MERGED] Veeam FLR question

Post by clement.cromology »

Hello,

I have a question concerning the FLR process. My setup is the following :

Backup and replication server on the main site
Backup and replication console on the main site
Backup proxy and repository on the remote site
VMware infrastructure on the remote site

When attempting a FLR from the remote site repository, through the remote site proxy, to a VM on the remote site VMware infrastructure using the backup console on the main site, it looks like the restored file do not transit directly from the remote site backup proxy to the remote site target VM but through the main site backup and replication console.

I suspect that because :
- the restore process is very slow, as if it was transitionning through the WAN
- in the FLR log, I see both the backup and replication console host and the remote proxy indicated as being used as mount server

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam FLR question

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you tried to specify the proxy as a mount server in repository settings?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Clement, what specific restore option are you using - restore to original VM or the Copy To function? See above for the answers to similar questions.
clement.cromology
Novice
Full Name: Clement ODOT

Post by clement.cromology »

I was using the "Restore to original VM". The restore was several thousand files large though. Might just be related to the command and control repeated for each file on a medium latency link.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What kind of repository is involved (Windows/Linux/CIFS/Dedupe)? Restore of thousands of files could indeed be slow, however, actual traffic should be local in case of restore to original location (unless, for example, repository gateway server is located in the main site).
bernd.dausch
Service Provider
Full Name: Bernd Dausch

Post by bernd.dausch »

@foogy:
we use the "copy the files to a other folder" option
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then the fact that the backup is mounted to the server running console during the actual restore is expected.
IainKnott
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Iain

[MERGED] FLR Mount Server Selection

Post by IainKnott »

How can we specify which mount server is used to perform file level restores?

I've just experienced a very slow restore, due to a poor choice of mount server having been selected, but cannot find a way to select a better one.

In my case a off-site backup was mounted to the onsite console via Veeam Power NFS.

From the backup guide, it would appear the repository server (Windows), which has also the mount service should have been chosen, and this would have been ideal.

posting.php?mode=post&f=2

"Backup repository. For Microsoft Windows backup repositories, the mount server role is assigned to the backup repository server itself."

"If you do not want to use default mount servers, you can assign the mount server role to any Microsoft Windows machine in the backup infrastructure. It is recommended that you configure at least one mount server in each site and associate this mount server with the backup repository residing in this site. The mount server and backup repository must be located as close to each other as possible. In this case, you will be able to keep the VM traffic in one site."

So I'm aiming for the windows server hosting the backup repository to be the chosen mount server, keeping Veeam Power NFS on-site, then only copying the chosen files across the WAN.

I've raised a ticket with support, who suggested installing the console at the remote site, which should get around this issue, but this means installing multiple consoles at multiple sites, and remembering to login to the correct ones.

Shouldn't it be possible to manage all of this from a single console? My understanding from the release notes implies this.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Iain, please review this thread for specifics of the mount server selection.
IainKnott
Service Provider
Full Name: Iain

Post by IainKnott »

So for File Level Restores, the mount server has to be where Veeam Explorer is running?

Can we change this behaviour, perhaps raise a new feature request?

From a backup perspective, we can manage from a single remote console, specify the source, the destination and choose to offload the processing to a specific proxy. Can we have the same functionality for restores? I.e. Specifying the mount Server then letting Veeam Explorer connect remotely to browse and issue restore commands?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you're performing restore to original location, during actual restore the backup file is mounted to the mount server specified for the repository. Mount to remote console is performed only for browsing prior to restore. What specific restore option are you using - restore to original VM or the Copy To function?
gfish
Novice

[MERGED] File-Restore directly from backup-proxy/repository

Post by gfish »

Dear Veeam Friends,

My Configuration:
SITE 1:
Server with Veeam Backup Repository & Backup Proxy installed, Backup located on that reposoitry

SITE 2:
Veeam Management Server (console)

between those sites there is an WAN Connection.

When i try to do a file level restore to Site 1 - i think the traffic goes;
Site1-backup repository -> managementserver Site 2 -> produktion system site 1.

is there an option to get the file-level restore directly run on site 1 ?
I think for full vm restore it's possible to choose the proxy server.

thanks for your suggestions!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: File-Restore directly from backup-proxy/repository

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You should deploy a Mount server close to the backup repository in case you want to restore files to the original location.
If it will be new location, then VBR mounts vm disks in the backup server or the console where you initiate the restore.

Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!