VBR Console => Restore Proxy?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

VBR Console => Restore Proxy?

Veeam Logoby VladV » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:21 pm

We started using the remote console functionality of V9 for basic monitoring tasks. We then tried using it for basic restore tasks just to find out that instead of restoring the files directly from the backup server to the destination, it moved the files through the station hosting the console! What's the point in doing it this way? I mean, I was getting 1/2 of the throughput and 2x restore time until I figured out what was happening.

Is there a way to have a basic remote console? As in send commands to the backup server?
VladV
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Re: VBR Console => Restore Proxy?

Veeam Logoby kawiMTF » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Vlad,

This is a "normal" but perhaps unexpected feature. When you install the standalone console on another machine then the Veeam Backup Server, this specific machine becomes also the role of a "Mount Server" installed.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsph ... erver.html

So perhaps you have to check the backup jobs and also in the restore you will have to define the specific Mount Server.
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
Veeam Platinum Partner
Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
vExpert / VCA6-DVC / VCA5-DVC / VCA5-Cloud
MCP / MCSA 2012
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
kawiMTF
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Right, remote console also holds the role of the mount server, which was most likely used in your case. You can assign this role to any other server in repository settings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby VladV » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 pm

The repository from which I was pulling the restore points has the mount server pointed to the backup server.
VladV
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:40 pm

What kind of restore was it? Restore to original location or saving files to some local folder using the Copy To option? In the latter case, the backup is indeed mounted to the remote console server to retrieve files (since it is supposed that your target is in the same location, where you're starting the restore process from). However restore to original location should go through the mount server specified for the repository (backup server in your case). If you feel this is not the case, I recommend contacting support for verification.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Veeam Console

Veeam Logoby lowlander » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:49 am

Hi,

we are planning to use 1 Veeam B&R server for managing 20 branch offices. Each brach office is configured with a local repository and a mount server/guest index machine. Due to the Veeam Console we are able to login to the Veeam Console on each location, and the head office.

When an administrator on the head office wants to restore an individual file of a branch office A, with the Veeam Explorer : How is traffic handled ? Will there be network traffic between head office and branch office A regarding data restore traffic ?

thanks
lowlander
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Re: Veeam Console

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi!
Are you at the newest product version?
Starting from v9, there is an option to restore locally in the branch office.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 419 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Console

Veeam Logoby lowlander » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 pm

is that only when using restore to Original location ?

Sometimes cu wants to restore to another location. Is it valid to say that when you do a copy to (in a restore process)... al traffic will pass the machine where the console / explorer is running ?
lowlander
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Correct, in case of using the Copy To option, the backup is mounted to the server initiating the restore.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Mount Server used is not the expected

Veeam Logoby torteflo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi,

I am a Veeam partner and one of my customers encountered lately an issue with v9 which I am very concerned of.

If I am right, mount server was one of the major new option of B&R version 9 for ROBO architecture.
This is what we got here, with one Veeam backup server at HQ and one repository + one proxy server at each remote site.
On the repository the mount server option is set to the same site veeam proxy VM.
This, because, don't knnow why initially, the repository server has just a share, and is not a managed server by Veeam. If it was managed, I would have set himself, the repository server, as a mount server.

So when, from the HQ, the administrator want to restore a guest file (5GB) from a remote office, at the same remote office (original location), he launches the restore wizard.
Then FLR component is mounting the backup to the mount server which is..... the machine running the veeam console! either the admin PC, or the backup server.
Why does Veeam do not use the remote site proxy server to mount the file stored on the repository of same site ?

The fact is, when using a machine at HQ as mount server, transfer rate are really bad obviously, and FLR can stop because of timeout.

This customer has created a support case which I don't have the number yet, but I am really concerned for future customers.
Please help.
torteflo
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Hello, actual restore to original location should use mount to the proxy server VM in your case. However initial mount (with the purpose of browsing files) is indeed performed to the server where the restore is launched.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby johannesk » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 pm

This feature request is similar to the one I just posted:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/rfe-specify-mount-server-to-be-used-in-powershell-restore-t34715.html

I need to be able to specify the mount server when I do powershell restore. In fact it should be possible to specify it also in the VBR console wizard driven restore.
johannesk
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Veeam Logoby torteflo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi,
ok, now and with this link I understood everything :
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... arios.html

Thank you for the answers.

As I understand this, this is only a partial improvement...
As half (and first!) part of the FLR process is always generating traffic on the backup server, which is in HQ for my customer.
In fact my customer's support case creation did not work, he told me today..
But I hope he won't try again to create a case because things are clearer for me.

So now the only solution I see is to install Veeam console on each veeam proxy server at remote sites, and use it for restore.
So is there any conflict or trouble installing the Veeam remote console components on a Veeam proxy server?
Or do you think about other suggestion to improve our bandwidth usage here please? Thanks for your help.
torteflo
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:30 pm

torteflo wrote:As half (and first!) part of the FLR process is always generating traffic on the backup server, which is in HQ for my customer.

Correct. However, the only data downloaded from the remote server in this case are MFT blocks required to provide the file system state for you to browse it, actual restore traffic is kept local.

torteflo wrote:So is there any conflict or trouble installing the Veeam remote console components on a Veeam proxy server?

There should not be any troubles with this approach.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby torteflo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 am

ok, thanks for your answer.
torteflo
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication