Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
josh_swr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Josh Marchant

VBR License Instances

Post by josh_swr »

Could anyone please explain to me how the license instances work for VBR? I've got one partner telling me 1 instance each is enough for Hyper-V VMs and another telling me they always consume 11. This is for the enterprise plus license, but does the instance usage differ between that and the universal license?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR License Instances

Post by Mildur »

Hi Josh

It‘s 1 Instance per VM with VUL licensing. VUL has always the Enterprise Plus feature set.
The 11 points will be used if you have a rental license (only for service provider).

If I remember correctly, with the old instance licensing in V9.5, there was also the cost of 11 license per vm for enterprise plus. But 9.5 will be unsupported in 1-2 weeks. It shouldn't be used anymore.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
josh_swr
Influencer

Post by josh_swr »

That explains it then. I think our current partner that has us using 11 instances per VM is a rental, and the other one I was evaluating is universal.

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
josh_swr
Influencer

Post by josh_swr »

One other question related to this - if switching from a rental partner license to a universal license partner, will VBR switch over as expected when the license is changed, or will it freak out at all?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

You just replace the license and nothing will change. Seeing your newly installed license is no longer Rental, VBR will no longer use the VCSP point system but rather normal VUL system where 1 workload consumes 1 instance.