Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BSik
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bogdan Sikorski

VBR update to v10 removes all inactive NTFS volume mount points

Post by BSik »

Hi,

does the upgrade (or fresh install) to VBR v10 launch a system-wide removal of inactive NTFS volume mount points (mountvol /R)?

I have noticed that after the upgrade from VBR 9.5U4 to 10 I lost all of my volume mount points not currently in use. As if the upgrade script(s) instead of individually removing the possibly created temporary mount points launch a system-wide wipe (mountvol /R).
It creates a problem for me since I need to keep "inactive" volume mount points for possible future auto-mounts in a specified path and yet I have not found a way to manualy recover the volume mount points from a backup as I have asked in the Agent for Windows forum (veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/individual- ... 65149.html).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: VBR update to v10 removes all inactive NTFS volume mount points

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it does. But, it should do this only for virtual machines, and only those carrying the backup proxy role.

@mkretzer this will make you giggle.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer »

I read this thread today and wondered... "Might this have to do something with us/our issue? :-)"
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Its happening on a Windows Home Server 2011 (Windows Server 2008 R2) machine as well.
I am using the Community edition but should I try to Upgrade to v10, open a support ticket and send the logs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No need for a support case, as this is an expected behavior.
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Anyway I can overcome this behaviour? Or is there a way I can recover those from a backup?
I need those inactive volume mount points.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Rolling back the entire server to a restore point made prior to v10 upgrade will restore the entire server as it was, including the operating system settings.
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

That's what I did to get them back and to verify that the update was the culprit of the loss of my mount points. But this also means that if I want to keep them I can't upgrade to v10 and that means I can't use the Agent for Windows v4 ...

edit:
what I meant by recovery from backup was recovery after the upgrade to v10, after having them lost. As I wrote in my first post if I try to recover the mount points individually ("restore individual files") I only get simple folders that loose their special mount point attributes.

In your first reply you wrote that this is a behaviour expected only for VMs of a specific role.
Can we assume then that this behaviour for other platforms is an undesireable effect and will be "fixed" in future installers?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I believe the clean up part specifically is done regardless when we install our components, since we cannot know how the server will be used later. Let me confirm this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Here's the suggestion from our devs on how to restore those mount points from backup without rolling back the entire server:
1. Start file-level recovery from a restore point before v10 upgrade.
2. Copy registry hive files (Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM*) to the local disk. It is critically important to copy them locally, not just open directly from C:\VeeamFLR
3. Open these files with regedit, and copy the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices] key content. Then, apply it into your server's registry.
BSik
Novice

Post by BSik »

Hello again @Gostev,
thank you for all your replies and the suggestion from devs. Unfortunately that solution didn't work.

Trying to replicate this solution but not on the production machine here is what I did using a simple USB storage key on a Win10. I created a directory under the root of C: and I called it "mounts", under that directory I created an empty directory that will be my test volume mount directory and I called it "mnt1". I plugged in the USB storage key (got assigned drive letter F:) and have mounted that volume under "mnt1". The "mountvol" command infact lists my USB drive with two mount points- "F:\" and "C:\mounts\mnt1". I eject the USB key and as expected "mountvol" doesn't list that drive name anymore. The "mnt1" directory still exists (icon of a drive with the link arrow) and trying to open it I get the expected popup "C:\mounts\mnt1 is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or ...". Now I save the suggested by devs registry key ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]) and perform a system-wide purge of inactive volume mount points using the command "mountvol /R". My directory "mnt1" under "C:\mounts" disappears. Then I load the just saved registry key into the current registry.
I do not get back my volume mount point directory "mnt1". In fact the "C:\mounts" continues to be empty. Plugging in the same USB memory drive under "mountvol" list for that USB volume name only "F:\" is listed as the mount point.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, sorry. I totally misunderstood what you were doing.