Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

VBR v7 as proxy and repository for VBR v8

Post by VladV »

I was thinking of installing a new VBR server based on the newly released v8 and to keep the v7 instance running as production backup until all our tests are completed.

This means that we need to have access to the storage resources and network resources for the new VBR server. Using the old VBR v7 server as a backup repository and proxy will enable us to avoid adding unnecessary hardware for the new install until our tests are done. After that, we will attach the storage and network resources directly to the v8 install. Of course, when running backup and replication jobs on v8 we will pause the jobs in v7 to avoid any overlaps.

The question is: Will this be possible without any compatibility issues due to different proxy and repository versions? I believe that adding the v7 install as both repository and proxy will trigger an upgrade of these roles and I do not know how v7 will tolerate this.
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: VBR v7 as proxy and repository for VBR v8

Post by edfops »

Registering anything running v7 in v8 will cause jobs in v8 to fail, unless you upgrade those components, at which point running anything on the v7 server will start failing.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

Ok, so let's exclude the proxy role, how can I use the v7 install as a repository for the v8 install without breaking the previous install?

I want to test and, if everything goes well, to migrate from v7 to v8 with a clean install without too much fuss and too large a backup downtime.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

You cannot do so in any way that would require transport services of different versions co-existing on the same Windows server. If you only have storage available on the Veeam 7 server, you could perhaps create a shared folder on that server and configure a CIFS repository on the v8 server pointing to that share. Depending on your environment, this may or may not be slower or less reliable than your existing setup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

My recommendation would be to stick all-in-one deployment, while testing version 8. Which means you will need only one machine hosting three roles: proxy, repository and management console. Thanks.