Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

VCC Sizing

Post by mongie »

Hello All,

I have a requirement to store some backups in VCC. A Full backup is around 2500GB. From my calculations, this means I'm going to need 45TB of cloud storage to keep 1 year of backups offsite (which is going to cost a LOT of money).

8x Weekly
12x Monthly
4x Quarterly

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Alex
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: VCC Sizing

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Alex

You can use this calculator http://rps.dewin.me/

Storing 45TB of backups even locally cannot be cheap ;) and when you add off-site additional data center costs to that...

If you're looking for absolutely cheapest way to have off-site backups with your data size (2TB full backups), I would say go with external disk or tape, take those backups home with you, and put them in a fireproof safe. This does add lots of "manual processing" overhead, but also does the job. In fact, that's exactly what we did in early days of Veeam ourselves (although we did not have any "cloud" options at the time yet anyway).

Thanks!
Anton
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Some Cloud Connect providers however are offering (sometimes heavy) discounted prices for a long-term contract like 1 or 3 years. Looking at the GFS configuration you are already looking for some long retention, so it could be an option to check for some discount in exchange for a longer agreement.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

I store this locally on dedup storage, so I don't use 45TB. Its a shame we can't do that with VCC.
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

SP point of view: Would be extra cool to have ability to offer different storages for customers for "active" cloud copy/replication and "archive" storage for GFS. Having both on the same storage (which needs to be _fast_) drives the price up and gives no real advantage.
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I store this locally on dedup storage, so I don't use 45TB. Its a shame we can't do that with VCC.
Could you elaborate why it's not achievable via Cloud Connect? There are a lot of offerings coming from SPs, including offerings aimed at addressing long-term archival needs.
SP point of view: Would be extra cool to have ability to offer different storages for customers for "active" cloud copy/replication and "archive" storage for GFS. Having both on the same storage (which needs to be _fast_) drives the price up and gives no real advantage.
More like a primary cloud repository for backup jobs and a secondary one for backup copy ones?

Thanks.
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

Nope. Primary cloud repository for backup copy job, and secondary for gfs. Currently there is no functionality in backup copy job to separate these two.
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think you will be able to achieve more or less similar scenario (see this approach), once we add SOBR support to Cloud Connect. Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 » 3 people like this post

Even without waiting for SOBR support, a service provider can offer today some cloud repository backed by a deduplication appliance, explaining to the customer that the lower price has to do with deduplication, and that performance on restores are going to be lower than a plain storage system. With 9.5 on the horizon, I see also a lot of possibilities for the new ReFS integration, without even involving external deduplication at all.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

mongie wrote:I store this locally on dedup storage, so I don't use 45TB. Its a shame we can't do that with VCC.
Sure you can. You just need a VCC service provider with dedupe storage for your backups ;) and forgo encryption for your cloud backups, of course!
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

Providers... assemble.

Seriously though - how much should I be paying for VCC?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Depending on the volume and region, Veeam charges service providers between $2.x and $4.x per VM per month. We don't charge for storage, because VM size or retention policy does not really affect our support costs that much. So, you can do whatever math makes sense to you to estimate backup storage costs, add "Veeam fee" on top based on your VM count - and this will be the monthly fee where service provider would "break even".
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

Gostev wrote:$2.x and $4.x per VM per month.
it's closer to $6 here
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Seems strange as the price is the same for every provider in a given region, unless you can subscribe to a higher tier, guarantee Veeam to buy more licenses, and thus receive a discounted price.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

So for end users... What is the best price people are getting for VCC?

10c/GB? 6c/GB?
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar » 1 person likes this post

I've seen ads prices starting as low as $20/TB. That is slooooow storage from the azure, and you will have to pay for the recovered data.
We offer high speed storage from our local high security data center for about 30c/GB. We are planning for slower, deduplicating disks for archival purposes and/or cheapo azure storage.

First you need to ask yourself, does location of your data matter? Is it legal to store it abroad? In case of disaster, how fast you will need to get your data back? Is transferring multiTB of data over network possible, or do you need it sooner (with high-speed usb from your local datacenter?)
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
amarshall
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Marshall

Post by amarshall »

Hi Mongie,

I work in Pre-Sales for a VCSP in Australia.

Our storage starts at 10c/GB/month, with discounts available based on contract term and volume of data.

We also offer options to tape out archival data and are always happy to work on a more custom solution to suit your needs.

Let me know if you would like to have a chat and I will get you in touch with myself and our Brisbane sales team (I'm based in Sydney).

Thanks
A