Reimold
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Reimold

VDR - Veeam Backup - Question

Post by Reimold »

Hello,

we are going to evaluate veeam backup and i have 3 questions about the setup:

1. right now we are using "VMware Data Recovery" (wich is still in Beta if you ask me). Should i disable the VDR-appliance while testing veeam backup ? the VM´s i am going to backup are not backed up by VDR but they are on the same ESX-cluster.

2. i have a vcb-proxy connected to our san. is it correct that when i install veeam backup on this machine i should use the vStorage-API and not the vcb-mode to benefit from the esx4 block tracking ?

3. since my backup-target is a cifs-share or a iscsi-lun (not connected to the esx-hosts) does it make any diefference what backup mode i choose (san, vcb, vStorage-Network) because the target would be the botttleneck ?

Thank You

Dirk
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: VDR - Veeam Backup - Question

Post by Gostev »

Hello Dirk,

1. Yes, it's better to disable as it can still affect ESX/storage/network.
2. Correct.
3. You want to use vStorage API mode for best backup performance, no matter of the target.

Thank you!
Anton
Reimold
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Reimold

Post by Reimold »

Hello Gostev,

since we are very happy with Veeam Backup 4 (and unhappy with vmware VDR) i have another question about licensing your backup-software. if we have an infrastrucure with about 10 hosts (alltogether 15 sockets) and i don´t want to backup all 10 hosts i have to buy the desired number of socket-license (lets say 10 sockets). When i add my vcenter to the veeam backup server, how can i asign the license to the servers i want to backup ? or do i have to by a license for all sockets managed by that vcenter ?

Thanks

Dirk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dirk,

Anton is on a vacation for a couple of days, so let me answer it for you :wink: Actually, you need to buy as many licenses (sockets) as your source ESX/ESXi hosts have, all the licenses are automatically assigned during the backup/replication jobs to source hosts and you can see that after the job is performed by opening Help->License Information->Licensed hosts. And If you run the job one more time, we'll see that the source host is already licensed during the license procedure check, and skip assigning license procedure, however it will be done for newly added hosts.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct. As long as you do not backup any VMs from the specific host, the host will never be counted in license. So, just buy the license for 10 hosts and ensure that you are not adding VMs running on the other 5 to the backup/replication job.