Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pcoaaron
Novice
Liked: never

Veaam B&R: Logging

Post by pcoaaron »

Hello,

i'm testing Exchange Server 2010 SP3 and Veeam Backup & Recovery 7 (Windows Server 2008 R2) - both Vmware.
I've created a Backup Job and then saved an Email as .msg with Application Item Restore.
On the Veeam - Server all logs are fine, but on the Exchange Server there were only a few logs:

VeeamOibIndexer_....log and VeaamVssSupport_....log

In the manual (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... gging.html) it says:

In addition to logs stored on the Veeam Backup & Replication server, log files are also stored on all servers managed by Veeam Backup & Replication:
●On Windows servers and Hyper‑V hosts, logs are stored as follows:
❖For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003: %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Veeam\Backup
❖For Windows Vista and later: %allusersprofile%\Veeam\Backup

Shouldn't there are logs e.g from the Backup Job or the Restore Job?
Or where can i find this?

Thank you very much for your advice!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veaam B&R: Logging

Post by foggy »

Job logs are stored on the backup console. If you're using Veeam Explorer for Exchange to restore items, its log is stored in the %allusersprofile%\Veeam\Backup\ExchangeExplorer folder.

May I ask you why do you need those logs?
pcoaaron
Novice

Post by pcoaaron »

Hello,

i've thought the same logs from the Veaam Server are also stored on the Exchange Server - that's why i were confused when i'm reading the manual.
Still now i need those logs only for testing purpose, that all is correctly logged, because we didn't decide yet how we use auditing and reporting.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It might be more than you're looking for, but for backup auditing and reporting purposes you may want to consider using Veeam ONE that has predefined report templates that track all kinds of restores performed by the backup admin.
pcoaaron
Novice

Post by pcoaaron »

Yes i will also have a look on it, because the subject security is very important for us since we've already had an unpleasant incident.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also if you're in contact with any of our System Engineers, you can also ask for the beta of Veeam ONE v8 which extends audit (for ex., job change tracking report) and compliance reports capabilities for Veeam backup.