Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam 5 - Offsite replication of backup

Post by tsightler »

In general, yes. I would also suggest setting the "Storage Optimization" to "WAN target" because, even though you are backing up locally, you are then copying via WAN. This will change the block size to 256K which will reduce the amount of blocks that require changes during incrementals. The difference may not be that much for unstructured fileservers, but can be huge for transactional servers like Exchange and SQL if you have any of those in your backup job. You'll have to re-run the full backup again to pick up this change though.
Silver Peak ED
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Everett Dolgner

Post by Silver Peak ED »

danscott wrote:Thanks Marty and Vitaliy,

From my research so far (Read Googling around for stuff!) I have found that a lot of people seem to be using WAN optimizers/accelerators such as Netex HyperIP example http://read.virtualizeplanet.com/?p=460 has anyone found these to be effective at implementing this type of solution? Problem is there's no mention on their website of cost so not sure how many 0's we're talking at the end of the price tag?

Thanks for the tip on version 6 - do you have any approximate ship dates on this yet? and can you upgrade version 5 (I have some other clients already using V5)

From my searches this seems to be a common problem for people moving away from BackupExec>Tape drives when they implement virtualised platforms for customers rather than small file/mail/database server setups so if Veeam can get it right with V6 then it will be a big plus. If you've got a nice VPLS network between multiple offices and loads of bandwidth it's not a problem but for the SME market it's a bit of a struggle at the moment to get their backups out of the building.
Hi danscott,
You do have several options available for WAN optimization with Veeam. I am with Silver Peak and we have a free WAN optimization appliance, VX-Xpress, that runs in VMware. The limitation is that VX-Xpress only supports 4 Mb of bandwidth, but it is a great option for testing to see the benefits you will gain from WAN opt. We do have customers that are running the free appliance with Veeam to help fix the problems of replicating across the Internet, you can read about it here http://www.vx-xpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25.

In most VPN across the Internet replication deployments there are two things that impact performance, bandwidth and loss. Bandwidth is addressed through deduplication and compression, most WAN opt vendors have these features. Silver Peak has additional support to manage and repair lost and out of order packets across the WAN. Check out the free appliance and let me know if you have any questions. www.vx-xpress.com
danscott
Influencer
Full Name: Dan Scott

Post by danscott »

OK Veeam 6 now installed, the testing continues!

Can anyone from Veeam let me know if the same reg key needs changing with 6 to stop the VBK renaming with reversed incrementals?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dan, yes you can use the same key as for v5 to stop VBK files renaming in this case. Thanks.
danscott
Influencer
Full Name: Dan Scott

Post by danscott »

Thanks Foggy, have to say I've never known a product support forum where the developers reply so quickly - much appreciated!