Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kmile
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kamil Smagorzewski

Veeam 6.5.0.144 Server Crashes

Post by kmile »

Hi Guys,

We have recently been experiencing really troublesome issues with our Veeam Server. We created the server probably about a couple of months ago from scratch (the previous Veeam server was running on Windows Server 2003 32bit and we wanted to upgrade the OS, we did not have any problems with that server, we just wanted to upgrade the OS).
The new server runs on Windows Server 2012 Datacentre 64 bit. We have about 10 VMs to backup onto a local Synology storage. We replicate 2 of the VMs to our offsite DR location via WAN, also Synology storage. Everything has been running as it should until one morning I noticed no backup/replica notifications. This was probably three-four weeks ago. RDP to the server did not work. vSphere console - black screen, nothing. Could not ping the server either.
The fun started from there. I quickly discovered that it was not an ordinary crash. Restarting or Shutting down the OS guest options were not available. I then tried to reset or/and power off the machine but it would not complete the process! It gets stuck at 95% and it will not go any further.
I had to connect using ssl console to the host on which the Veeam server runs and force the VM processes to kill. The machine still would not shut down. It powered off only after I rebooted that host.
We cannot see any patterns when the crashes occur. One happened on Tuesday and Wednesday evening another one happened. Sometimes the machine is fine for a week or so.
I can see a few veeam temporary snapshots left on some VMs and it takes a long time to remove them manually.
We cannot see anything in the logs. We don not have any problems like that with any other VM.
Our environment: 2 x VMware hosts in HA cluster HP ProLiant DL380 G6 running vSpere 5.1
Storage Synology RS3412RPxs.
Does this behaviour mean anything to you guys? I am thinking of creating a new Veeam server with Windows server 2008 R2 as we have this running on a different site without any problems.

I would appreciate your assistance.
Thank you in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 6.5.0.144 Server Crashes

Post by foggy »

Kamil, it's definitely worth contacting support with that as deep log dive is required here. I would also check VMware VM logs for possible reasons.

Could you also verify whether the VM always crashes during the backup process or when all the backup jobs are idle?
kmile
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kamil Smagorzewski

Post by kmile »

As far as I know it crashes during backup and/or replication process.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then there should be something in the job logs that could help to identify the reason of the failure. Please start working with support on this.