Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
paps40
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Peter Pappas

Veeam 7 Configuration / Installation Questions

Post by paps40 »

I am in the process of setting up a new physical veeam server running version 7 R2 to replace an older physical veeam server that is running version 6.5. I have the following questions for the forum members. Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Automount
Why did automount not get disabled when veeam 7 was installed like it did in version 6 and 6.5? Is this a bug? I manually disabled it via diskpart but wanted to see if this just affected me or not.

2. Server 2012 Dedupe & Veeam 7 R2
What is the recommendation for using server 2012 dedupe and veeam 7 R2 with regards to which Storage Optimization is recommended?

Here are my settings

Dedupe = Check - enable inline data deduplication
Compression Level = None
Storage Optimization = Local Target

According to this youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu0TG_Lw_WI#t=1499
They have selected Dedupe-friendly compression and local target.

This forum post says to set Storage Optimization = LAN target
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 2&start=75

This post says to turn compression off
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14002

What works best here?

Thank You.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam 7 Configuration / Installation Questions

Post by veremin »

1. Starting from version 6.1 VB&R should set SAN policy to Offline instead of disabling automount (as it did in older releases). So, kindly, check the corresponding policy. As long as the disks are shown offline, you shouldn't worry.

2. You can, probably, stick to "dedupe-friendly" level as this is rather a simple compression algorithm that still might benefit from using Windows 2012 deduplication. However, you can experiment with both "dedupe-friendly" and "no compression" level and see what method suites your needs best.

Thanks.
paps40
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Peter Pappas

Post by paps40 »

1. Ok, thanks. I see that now. SAN Policy is set to Offline Shared. I wasn't aware of the change veeam made. I disabled automount anyways as an extra layer of protection.

2. I'm rolling with compression off and storage optimization set to LAN Target which uses smaller blocks 512. This was recommended to me by veeam tech support.

Thanks for getting back to me.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

1. Yep, you can do that in order to be on the safe side.

2. Either setting (dedupe-friendly, compression off) should give acceptable results. However, compression off will be more beneficial if your backup chain is long (long term retention).

Thanks.