Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JZTOR
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Joseph Zinguer

Veeam 7 copy job

Post by JZTOR »

I am looking forward for v7. Is it possible to share more details about new Copy job feature?
What could be the source for copy job - backup only, or replica as well?
How it will work with periodical Active Full backups?
How calculate the size for the Copy job's repository?

Thank you for the answers.
Best Regards.
Joseph
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Re: Veeam 7 copy job

Post by johnlong »

I am wondering also. I watched the video on wan acceleration and I'm wondering what the relationship between wan acceleration and backup copy jobs are.

Also in a press release I saw the following.
New Enterprise Plus Edition and Promotion

Veeam offers several options to meet each customer’s particular data protection needs and budget. In addition to the Free, Standard and Enterprise Editions of Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam has created a new edition, Enterprise Plus, which includes the 2 most disruptive innovations in Veeam Backup & Replication v7: Built-in WAN Acceleration and Backup from Storage Snapshots.

In addition, Veeam is offering a free upgrade to existing Enterprise Edition customers and to those who purchase or upgrade to Enterprise Edition before July 1, 2013. These customers can upgrade for free to the Enterprise Plus Edition through Nov. 1, 2013.
Does this promotion apply to essentials plus licenses as well?

Thanks!
davida
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David Avice

Post by davida »

I hope it does apply to the Essentials Versions as well. We are not planning on running more than 3 hosts in our setup and the SMB licensing is working great for us ( Being NFP as well every money saved is good money ) It would be unfair having the Essentials Enterprise version to not be able to upgrade to a similar version like "V7 Essentials Enterprise Plus". Having to upgrade to normal enterprise version would defeat the purpose of the SMB licensing in the first place.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Joseph,

More technical details will be available closer to the release date, meanwhile please take a look at our blog post that should answer ant least a couple of your questions:
http://www.veeam.com/blog/countdown-to- ... ion-2.html
johnlong wrote:Does this promotion apply to essentials plus licenses as well?
Hi, John. To get the most up-to-date information on that, please contact our sales rep directly.

Thanks!
markfellows
Expert
Full Name: Mark Fellows

Post by markfellows »

johnlong wrote:Does this promotion apply to essentials plus licenses as well?
Has anybody found any additional information as to whether features like the WAN Accelerator will be available to Veeam Essentials Plus customers with a valid maintenance agreement?
davida
Influencer

Post by davida »

If Veeam tell us to contact the sales rep then we can assume that there will be no upgrade applicable to us Owners of Essentials Enterprise license which is a Pain. Not only do we need to pay around 2K to upgrade to the normal enterprise license but if we want Veeam One as well it will be a total of around 5K and this is before factoring the higher renewal fee of having the Normal Enterprise Plus license.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

At this point I don't think it would be safe to assume. If Veeam sticks with the VMWare essentials plus model I think it would be included just like how the vmware VSA is included with the essentials plus bundle now. At least I really hope so!

V7 hasn't been released yet and hopefully someone at Veeam that is in the know will reply and clarify this for us!

:mrgreen:
davida
Influencer

Post by davida »

Not Assuming anything as this is what Veeam told me on the phone this morning. Was just hoping that things could change but i am sure that Vitaly would have told us if there would be an free upgrade path for us to the V7 enterprise plus the same as those with current enterprise license. Paying a higher renewal fee is ok to an extent but i will just find it difficult to tell the boss that we need to fork out the same amount of money we paid for the Veeam Essentials Enterprise just to receive 2 new features as good as they may be. Plus, as we don't use HP storage in our environment, this makes it only 1 new feature.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

It wasn't clear that you had called.

So your saying that you were told Essentials Plus license holders will not be given the ability to use the Copy job feature, which I would assume is tied to the wan acceleration feature?

So is backup from SAN snap also not available to Essentials Plus users?

This is way messed up on multiple levels.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

johnlong wrote:So your saying that you were told Essentials Plus license holders will not be given the ability to use the Copy job feature, which I would assume is tied to the wan acceleration feature?
No, Backup Copy Job functionality is not tied to the WAN acceleration feature. The WAN accelerator function is an enhancement to the Backup Copy job feature.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Thanks for clearing that up.
davida
Influencer

Post by davida »

Yes this i what i was told.

If we want the Wan acceleration feature, we will need to first update to the Normal enterprise version and then upgrade to the enterprise plus.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct. WAN acceleration is a premium functionality that will not be available with the heavily discounted Veeam Essentials package.

Upgrading 3 hosts from Veeam Essentials to Enterprise Edition will not cost you a whole lot, and if you do it until July 1st, we will give you Enterprise Plus Edition at no cost. The alternative would be to buy general purpose WAN accelerators, which is a 6-digit purchase - and they will still not work as well as our built-in acceleration.

I also like to say that Veeam Essentials is really what it says on the tin: essentials. While Enterprise Plus functionality is clearly not "essential" in the first place (since you live without it today just fine).
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Gostev wrote:While Enterprise Plus functionality is clearly not "essential" in the first place (since you live without it today just fine).
I think a few things need to be cleared up here. I have "Veeam Essentials Plus licenses" which it was my understanding that it closely followed "Enterprise Plus" features.

I would not say that I have lived without wan acceleration just fine. I have faced increased bandwidth costs in my main office, datacenter and cloud as my data grows. I send a lot of data offsite using veeam. I don't use tape and don't want to use tape to reduce the cost of sending data offsite. One of my main reasons for purchasing Veeam is because of increased costs I faced with DoubleTake.

Honestly if I could send data offsite quicker with more efficient snapshots, SAN based snapshots, I could achieve closer to CDP which I had with DoubleTake. If there is an increased cost associated with it, I guess I will have to look at the bottom line cost and submit a budget request for it. Especially if I can reduce our bandwidth.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Veeam Essentials == Veeam Standard limited to 3 hosts (generally)

Veeam Essentials Plus == Veeam Enterprise limited to 3 hosts (generally)

There is no such thing as Veeam Enterprise Plus until v7 is released.

Maybe they should change the Essentials names to Essentials Standard and Essentials Enterprise. As the Plus features are considered premium, I'm fine if they don't even offer an Essentials Enterprise Plus. Frankly, they probably named the Essentials line the way they did because they don't want anyone to think Essentials should be an Enterprise level solution. (Though how anyone can go virtual without being an Enterprise is beyond me. More like "small Enterprise".)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

averylarry wrote:Veeam Essentials == Veeam Standard limited to 3 hosts (generally)

Veeam Essentials Plus == Veeam Enterprise limited to 3 hosts (generally)

There is no such thing as Veeam Enterprise Plus until v7 is released.
Yes, that's correct.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Here is the point I am trying to get across. I apologize if I sound rude, that's not my intention.

The bullet points in the video are not limited to enterprises only. The thing that gets me is WAN acceleration is being talked about as a feature of the "Backup Copy Job".

Limited Bandwidth, Check.
General purpose WAN accelerator is not always the answer, expensive and complex. Check.
Can benefit from 50X faster offsite backups, Check. Would allow me to reduce full backup times from days to less than a day.
No budget to upgrade to Enterprise plus, Check.

I have 3 VMWare hosts with no need to run more than 3 with today's hardware. Just saying! :wink:
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Giacomo

Post by Giacomo_N »

JZTOR wrote:I am looking forward for v7. Is it possible to share more details about new Copy job feature?
What could be the source for copy job - backup only, or replica as well?
How it will work with periodical Active Full backups?
How calculate the size for the Copy job's repository?

Thank you for the answers.
Best Regards.
Joseph
But now we are off topic from copy job to new licensing model.
I have the same Joseph questions..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Some of the questions are answered in the above-mentioned blog post. There is also a dedicated webinar scheduled in June, where additional details will be discussed. Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

i am actually interessted on the same as JZTOR,
it will be some kind of replication of the files or will process copy of the files like copy and past?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Probably the simplest way to think of it is repository-to-repository replication where you can select which VMs are replicated, and what points, and a separate retention policy in the target repository. The source repository can use whatever modes (reverse/forward incremental) and run active fulls however often, with no impact on the target repository.

Regarding sizing the target repository, it's just like sizing a repository for backup, it's dependent on the number of VMs you are backing up, or in this case copy, and the amount of restore points you want to keep. If you have a 3.5TB full backup file, and you want to keep a second copy of all VMs in the backup, then you'll need at least 3.5TB + some space for additional restore points.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

averylarry wrote:Though how anyone can go virtual without being an Enterprise is beyond me. More like "small Enterprise".
It is beyond me why you think so, as it is pretty much the other way around, at least judging on our 65000 customers. Virtually all the smallest customers are 100% virtual, and the bigger the customer - the less virtualized they are generally. Veeam itself was 100% virtual since day one, we were virtual when we had 2 servers altogether... there is simply no reason NOT to go 100% virtual for small customers.
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Giacomo

Post by Giacomo_N »

foggy wrote:Some of the questions are answered in the above-mentioned blog post. There is also a dedicated webinar scheduled in June, where additional details will be discussed. Thanks.

Thank you Alex and Veeam for your great job and for amazing support and communication with the customers, we are exited about the new features and my Backup exec it's in countdown :)
jamerson
Veteran
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

when do we expect this version ?
i am very exited about the new version, need to give a update to the management soon about the veeam!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The release is scheduled to Q3.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Gostev wrote: It is beyond me why you think so, as it is pretty much the other way around, at least judging on our 65000 customers. Virtually all the smallest customers are 100% virtual, and the bigger the customer - the less virtualized they are generally. Veeam itself was 100% virtual since day one, we were virtual when we had 2 servers altogether... there is simply no reason NOT to go 100% virtual for small customers.
It sounds like you both are making the same point.

With the advancements in virtualization, even small business such as the company I work for are taking advantage of enterprise level features that could only be dreamed about years ago. And it appears that veeam is moving backwards in their licensing approach.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

"Enterprise level features that could only be dreamed about years ago" will not just magically appear in the product. We have to aggressively invest into our R&D to deliver those. Giving out all those features as a part of extremely discounted packages is not a very healthy for Veeam's cashflow. Nevertheless, thank you for your feedback - I did share it with the top management.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Gostev wrote:"Enterprise level features that could only be dreamed about years ago" will not just magically appear in the product. We have to aggressively invest into our R&D to deliver those. Giving out all those features as a part of extremely discounted packages is not a very healthy for Veeam's cashflow. Nevertheless, thank you for your feedback - I did share it with the top management.
I see what you're saying. Im looking at it from the bottom up and you have a top down view. I'm just a little shop wanting big features. When I said "Enterprise level features that could only be dreamed about years ago" I am referring to things like the HP P4000 VSA, VMware's vmotion, ha etc...

One way to look at it is HP, VMware and Microsoft are much larger and therefore able to provide these features to small businesses without much impact to the bottom line. And maybe I got a little spoiled. I'm not looking for something for nothing and I guess I may have been a little dramatic but it would be nice to see these features available as an add on to the essentials licenses.

Thanks!

Edit*
Thinking about it, Veeam spoiled me also. Releasing enterprise features in the Essentials plus bundle. :wink:
kjc3303
Expert
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - Ess Plus licence and would like to use the new features of Veeam Enterprise Plus

Does anyone have ballpark figures on how much it will cost to upgrade to Veeam Enterprise Plus.

Cheers

Kev
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Relevant information regarding pricing can be found at the corresponding page or through direct contacts with your sales representative.

Thanks.