Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
audiobog
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Veeam 7 WAN-accelerator ports

Post by audiobog »

To get WAN-accelerator successfully deployed, you need both TCP port 6160 (installer), 6164 (RPC) and 6150 (traffic) open. At least I did.
-- BentG
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam 7 WAN-accelerator ports

Post by veremin »

Hi, Bent. Kindly, consider WAN accelerator server as just another backup architecture component that is managed and installed in the same way as the existing ones (proxies, repositories). Therefore, the ports that needs to be open to deploy WAN accelerator are all the same as for the other components:

Code: Select all

- ports 135, 137-139, 445 TCP/UDP (for deploying components) 
- port 6160 TCP (default for the installer service)
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
audiobog
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Post by audiobog »

Thanks! I've just reached that conclusion myself. My head wanted two Veeam-servers to communicate through the WAN-accelerator-port only. The firewall guy also wants this :) Still a bit puzzled by the 6164-port, though. Seems like it replaces the 135, 137-139, 445 ports?
-- BentG
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure about this, actually. The whole bunch of used ports is covered in the corresponding User Guide (p.134) and 6164 port isn’t listed there. Though, you’re free to make your own test and share the results you get. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

According to QC, 6164 port is also required for WAN accelerator (along with 6165 port, which is already specified in the user guide). So the doc should be updated to include both. I'll pass the info to our technical writers, thanks for heads up!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

audiobog wrote:Seems like it replaces the 135, 137-139, 445 ports?
These are standard Windows ports and are used for the initial deployment of the installer service, since, prior to that, we have no other way to communicate with the server. Once the Veeam Installer service is deployed you shouldn't need these ports. It's actually possible to deploy the installer service manually and never open these ports.