Veeam 9,5 and Cohesity

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Veeam 9,5 and Cohesity

Veeam Logoby toreml » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am

Hi.
We have now set up Cohesity are backup target - but we experience only 15 MB/s backup speed.
As far as we have been able to read - the jobs have been set up according to documentation from Cohesity.

Anyone here who has experience with using Cohestiy as a backup target - as shared folder?

Any tips that could help us to get a better backup speed is appreciated.

Regard
Tore ML
toreml
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

Re: Veeam 9,5 and Cohesity

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Tore,

Please can you share more details about the infrastructure and what was the bottleneck during a backup session?
That should help us to determine which adjustments you can make to get better backup speed from Veeam perspective. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 100 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby toreml » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm

We have virtual servers - except some repository servers with local disk which are physical
When we run backup to them we see usuall 120+ MB\s

Cohesity and Veeam server are on the same vlan - some proxy servers have 10 GB net - while other have 1 GB - but we see no difference between the two.

We have had a remote session with Cohesity - but they can't see why we have this performance issue.
The say it looks like that Veeam can't deliver enough data for the Cohesity storrage.

We changed to Local disk 16TB- backuo size - and the the backup speed increased from 15 MB/s -> 28 MB/s

Veeam report that it's targe that is the bottleneck

Tore
toreml
Influencer

Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Tore,

The bottleneck target means that the target disk writer component spent most of its time performing I/O to backup files, as it states in the bottleneck analysis section of the sticky thread.
Do you have a Gateway server on the 10 Gb network for VM data transferring between the shared folder repository and proxy server?
Please keep in mind if you have no dedicated VM for Gateway server in the backup infrastructure, the backup server will be automatically selected to act as data mover for CIFS Repository. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 100 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby jah2323 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Brand new Cohesity's same terrible "target" bottleneck performance issue on 10G with nexus switches. my data domains perform like 30x better.

I'm going to look into the data gateway i guess, though i guess i'm unsure as not having had a "cifs" target before.
jah2323
Lurker

Full Name: Jason A Hassett

Veeam Logoby cbrasga » Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am

Any update on this? Looking at replacing our backup storage and Cohesity is one of the top repository options we’re looking at. Want to make sure performance issue has been resolved.
cbrasga
Influencer

Full Name: Cazi Brasga

Veeam Logoby JMP » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am 1 person likes this post

We were also seeing backup speed of 20-30MB/s with SMB/CIFS on 10Gbit network. We then switched to NFS and performance is now 50-110MB/s per stream. Total speed is around 700MB/s when we have all data reduction technologies on (Inline Erasure Coding, Inline Deduplication and Inline Compression on). Veeam is reporting that bottleneck is network so I guess we could get even better speeds with some tuning. My advise is to use NFS.
JMP
Lurker

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby nitramd » Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm

@toreml, what is your QoS policy set to? You could try using SSD to see if you get a performance increase; I don't think this will make much of an impact but maybe it's worth trying.
nitramd
Enthusiast

Liked: 12 times

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication