Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Millardus
Lurker
Liked: never

VEEAM 9.5 and Exchange DAG backup

Post by Millardus »

Hey Forum Folks

Hope you can help, just had a weird one with an Exchange 2010 onboarding .

Have been backing up Exchange Server A for 10 days. Started with a FULL that included just the OS and Page file.
THEN started adding a new Exchange DB every day, a PASSIVE Database copy.
For 10 days I followed this process, with an incremental backup happening every night, all going fine, 10 DB's getting onboarded after an overnight backup.

Every day at work I'd then open VEEAM explorer, go to a recovery point of the previous evening, and could see the DB's that had been backed up previously. ALL GOOD.

Then last night, I activated ONE of those 10 DB's on Exchange Server A, leaving the other 9 as Passives still. I ran the incremental backup afterwards.

TODAY, I've opened the VEEAM explorer, gone to a recover point of last night, and I can ONLY see the Active Database??

it's almost as if the Incremental chain has been broken and the VEEAM job is only backing up the ACTIVE DB now...

Any ideas?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VEEAM 9.5 and Exchange DAG backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Millardus,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second: It should not be an issue to protect a mix of active/ passive on a specific server. I'm kind of guessing that you might have timeout issues during the last job (but it is guessing at this point).

There is an existing large thread (but judging from your description, it might be something else... Still: veeam-backup-replication-f2/exchange-20 ... 29-90.html)

I would suggest you try a backup at a certain point in time (whenever you think it won't "disturb" day to day operations and monitor what is happening. Review the logs of that last backup also. If it looks like backup is successful and passive nodes are being protected, then open a support case so our engineers can view why the passive nodes suddenly are not visible anymire

Cheers
Mike