Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
execcr
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Federico Boldori

Veeam advice for setup/planning

Post by execcr »

Hello everybody,
sorry for the dumb question but i need some advice.

I'm planning to buy a copy of Veeam backup & replication for our small office network.

We currently have 2 esxi (essentials) hosts with local datastore (2 RAID5 for each host, total 8.8Tb), with a total of 5Tb of data shared between some VMs.
I'm trying to planning backup storage server dimensions using http://rps.dewin.me/ and trying to understand how GFS works, to achieve 2 things:
- Minimal space requirement for 1 year retention
- Ability to retrieve deleted files or previuos versions of the same file.

My aim is to use veeam to backup the entire VMs and if needed to retrieve deleted or modified files on the span of 1 year.
This last thing is the one i have more difficult to understand.

My scheme will be like this:
First: http://rps.dewin.me/?m=1&s=5000&r=7&c=3 ... y=1&dg=1&e
Dayly: 7 restore point, forever forward incremental, one at day

Then GFS should kick in, with this policy: http://rps.dewin.me/?m=3&s=5000&r=7&c=3 ... y=1&dg=1&e
Weekly 4 - Monthly 12 - Yearly 1

I think a need a roughly 32 Tb server for achieve 1 year retention with 25% year growth.

So, made this example: a new file is created in January, and user kept to modify it in February and March. Then some users delete it July.
Whit this backup strategy i should be able, for example in october, to retrieve the first file created in January, the same file modified in February and March.
It's Correct right?

And whats happen if a user modify the file each day for a week and i want to retrieve each iterations of the files during that week after 3 months? i can't right?

Thanks a lot for everyone would answer
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam advice for setup/planning

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Federico,
execcr wrote:Whit this backup strategy i should be able, for example in october, to retrieve the first file created in January, the same file modified in February and March.
It's Correct right?
That’s correct.
execcr wrote:And whats happen if a user modify the file each day for a week and i want to retrieve each iterations of the files during that week after 3 months? i can't right?
Right, you can’t.

Monthly GFS backup contains only 1 Restore point so you can go back to that date and perform File-Level restore according to this.
So in the end of the year you will have:
12 monthly backups
4 weekly backups
1 yearly backup
And incremental backup chain with 7 last days.

Thanks!
WRS2200
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Weston Strom

Re: Veeam advice for setup/planning

Post by WRS2200 »

Thanks for the thread. I was looking for something similar for one of our clients who needs a 1 year retention plan as well.