Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Veeam and Commvault

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, one of my customers uses CommVault...and I wanted to be prepared to speak to him about Veeam. The better thing to do is to know the competitors just to understand the differences between the products, but I only know Veeam and other backup products...but nothing about Commvault. I've googled looking for comparative tables, but the problem is that all the documents I've found are biased and outdated.
Does someone know both the products and tell me the major differences between them? Since I'm writing on a Veeam forum, I know that probably all of you are biased.... but please try to be honest and tell me what Commvault does better than Veeam (except of physical machine backup)....
Thank you very much in advance
splunk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: RKK

Re: Veeam and Commvault

Post by splunk »

I think one thing CV does well is the indexing of files through the use of Media Agents. Downside to that is the hardware associated to those.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Post by Luca82 »

I think also the O365 backup directly from cloud....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you need assistance when speaking to your customer about Commvault, you can contact our system engineer team to discuss this over the phone call/WebEx session. Might be helpful.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

This page can also be of assistance.

https://www.veeam.com/commvault-simpana ... ation.html

Joe
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Cost comes into it as well...we left CV to go to Veeam not only for Veeam's excellent product but cost as well...CV was pretty expensive...
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 73 times

Post by pirx »

We are currently also trying to make a decision between Commvault and Veeam (or Commvault + Veeam). We expected much higher prices for Commvault, but that's not true anymore. For us Commvault is even cheaper, because we don't have a very high consolidation ratio (1150 VM' and an average of 8 VM's per Socket, read: too many hosts) and with Commvault's per VM licensing the price is a bit less than with Veeam. We still have a lot of physical servers and many many Oracle DB's (currently HP-UX, migration to Linux is in process) and also MSSQL. For DB's Commvault is by far better than Veeam. I hate the fact but it's the truth. So if we backup Oracle/MSSQL VM's with Veeam we'd still need the agent licence for Commvault. For physical servers Endpoint Backup is no alternative for us, so we would have to keep our current backup solution for that (but nobody want that) or a new solution on top of Veeam (Commvault).

So we now have to make the decision to go with Commvault or Commvault + Veeam, but this solution would be more expensive and we are not sure if its worth the complexity of two new tools. I wish we would have less physical server and less DB's.
lepphce1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by lepphce1 »

We've recently made the decision to move away from Commvault to Veeam. It really depends on your environment on which is going to be a better value to you. We leveraged CV's ability to do XenServer backups, which in spite of the licensing costs for CV, saved us a bunch of money for not having to license VMware for our entire environment (Xen is free). Now that server hardware can run many more VMs than a few years ago, we've been able to move our Xen workloads to VMware without extra VMware licensing... so 95% of our environment is virtualized with Windows and Linux guests, Veeam makes the whole thing a bit easier to manage.

If you have a requirement to backup a lot of physical hosts, I would stick with Commvault. The Veeam Endpoint agent is good, but it lacks the management you get through CV. Hopefully in the future we will see a Veeam Endpoint agent that you can fully manage via the backup server console. Also, CV has more agents for various products that Veeam does not (Xen, Solaris, DB's, etc).