Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andreamariotti
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrea

Veeam and manual snapshots

Post by andreamariotti »

We are using Veeam for back up and it works like a charm except for one VM. On that VM the developer started taking manual snapshots intermingled with the ones from Veeam. Recently he decided to delete some of the manual snapshots and now Veeam is stuck. Here is the log:

Enabling changed block tracking...
Changed block tracking cannot be enabled: one or more snapshots present.

Removing snapshot
Unable to establish direct connection to the shared storage (SAN).
Please ensure that:
- HBA is properly installed in the Veeam Backup server computer, or software iSCSI initiator is configured correctly.
- SAN volume can be seen by operating system in the Windows Disk Management snap-in on the Veeam Backup server.
- Read access is allowed for the Veeam Backup server computer on the corresponding LUN (refer to your SAN documentation).

RemoveSnapshot failed, snapshotRef "496-snapshot-89", timeout "3600000"
Unable to access file <unspecified filename> since it is locked
Veeam Backup will attempt to remove snapshot during the next job cycle, but you may consider removing snapshot manually.
Possible causes for snapshot removal failure:
- Network connectivity issue, or vCenter server is too busy to serve the request
- ESX host was unable to process snapshot removal request in a timely manner
- Snapshot was already removed by another application

What now, please?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam and manual snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andrea,

Could you please tell me how many snapshot files do you have for this very VM right now? I would suggest shutting down the Veeam VM while trying to remove Dev VM snapshots manually using vSphere Client. On doing that, please re-run the backup job, If it doesn't help please contact our support team directly for assistance.

Thanks!
andreamariotti
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrea

Re: Veeam and manual snapshots

Post by andreamariotti »

we have 16 snapshots and we deleted a few without shutting down Veeam. I will try your suggestions, in that order. Hopefully I will not need to call support :-)
Thanks!