Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HDClown
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam and Nimble

Post by HDClown » 2 people like this post

In my question or new storage, Nimble has risen to the top of potential choices. Both Nimble and Veeam website lists that they are Technology Alliance Partners and there is a 2 page brief about this. However, this brief really says nothing beyond the benefits of Nimble, and the benefits of Veeam, but not what makes the two combined together "special".

Is there more to this alliance? Anything along the lines of when Veeam is combined with HP StoreVirtual/StoreVirtual VSA (P4000 LeftHand) or similar, or perhaps something in the pipe? I am also looking at StoreVirtual and StoreVirtual VSA in part because of the Veeam integration, so I was hoping there might be more than meets the eye in terms of Nimble and Veeam together.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam and Nimble

Post by foggy »

Basically, this alliance means that both parties have thoroughly tested their products to work together in virtualized environments to perform backup and restoration tasks (including those requiring vPower technology) and provide appropriate performance. There's no deep SAN snapshots integration (similar to what we have for HP storage) for Nimble, and we do not have Nimble in the short term plans. We prioritize storage vendors for deep integration based on their market share.
XZim
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Black

Post by XZim »

That's a real shame as I would buy Veeam today ... if it had Nimble Storage deep/granular restore integration. Commvault already have this integration (since last October 2012) but I believe Veeam would be simpler and cheaper to implement in our environment.

Veeam please can you provide Nimble Storage customers with this option?
mmonroe
Enthusiast
Full Name: Monroe

Post by mmonroe »

We just purchased a Purestorage FA-420. We reviewed all of the flash contenders and decided to give Pure a try. We are three months in production on the unit and so far are happy with it. We have our entire Vsphere farm on it and use Veeam to back everything up. So far - things work great.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Well, Pure Storage is indeed an awesome storage platform, no suprise you are happy with it. I'm sure in san mode or hotadd mode you will get really high numbers, and even without the storage snapshots the stun problem is somwhow reduced by the "raw power" of that storage :)

It would be nice to know some perf numbers of your Veeam backups! :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
wakesetter23
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas Lippert

Post by wakesetter23 » 1 person likes this post

We use Veeam Backup & Replication since 4 years for Vmware. Veeam is an easy to use and fast Backup software. In a few weeks we get our new nimble storage.
I hope, the storage integration for nimble is in the next release of Veeam. :D

Many greetings from Germany
Tommy
jonaz
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Jona Ziemann

Post by jonaz »

I would love to see Nimble integration as well.
alaskan
Lurker

[MERGED] Feature request

Post by alaskan » 1 person likes this post

This has been requested numerous times before but I'm not finding any of those requests right now so I thought I'd put in a new one.
You need to support integration with Nimble Snapshots.
Currently you support HP and Netapp.
I have several nimble sans and I want to be able to utilize those snapshots with Veeam. Please get this in the next release.
I've spoken to Nimble about this and they have provided the api's you would need to do this.
This is a critical piece for us and we are coming up on renewal and we are starting to look elsewhere.
Please don't continue to ignore this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The next major release (scheduled later this year) will not have Nimble storage integration, but thanks for your feedback.
Encode7
Influencer
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Ian

Post by Encode7 »

I can confirm what Luca has said above regards more powerful storage, I have seen first hand a VM when run on a high end spinning disk array be stunned long enough to cause an application disruption not then occur in the same scenario when run on Nimble Storage.
@iannoble
ghartt
Lurker
Full Name: Gregg Hartt

[MERGED] Feature Request

Post by ghartt » 1 person likes this post

request to be formally put on the Feature Request for Nimble Storage snapshot integration, please, thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Gregg and welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the feedback, your request is counted.
Tarook
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Koop

Post by Tarook »

We to are looking at new storage and Nimble is at the top of our list at present. I am looking deeper into the Nimble product and the sales people at Nimble keep talking about storage snapshots and how good they are. Also how Veeam will work perfectly with it. The issue I have is when they are pushed on the matter we don't seem to be able to get any substantial info from them on how it actually works together. Backups etc and the continued use of Veeam are important to us and we would like to see much more integration between the 2 companies. We used to use Comm vault until a couple of years ago and moved to Veeam. Mostly it's all been good but Veeam need to continue to develop their product to KEEP their customer base. Failure to do this will see us leave for perceived better shores in droves. So we are keen to see ongoing development of the relationship between Nimble and Veeam. Keep up the good work guys !!!!!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Chris and welcome to the forums!
Indeed, storage snapshots improve vSphere backup. In the next release we will have an integration with EMC VNX/VNXe. We will keep working to get integration with more vendors.
Thanks for your request!
XZim
Novice
Full Name: Chris Black

Post by XZim » 1 person likes this post

That's great for EMC users but we moved away from traditional EMC Storage ages ago in 2012 when we pioneered with NimbleStorage . There are many like us who are thriving on NimbleStorage and we are all desperate for snapshot integration, I will move to Veeam as soon as this becomes reality, only using Commvault as it is our only option right now and it is not elegant like Veeam :(
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you elaborate on why the said solution is the only option for you at the moment? Even without storage snapshot integration you'll be able to use Nimble storage in Direct SAN mode, that's what tens of thousands of our customers are doing today. Thanks!
yairlinder
Lurker
Full Name: Yair Linder

Post by yairlinder » 1 person likes this post

we are waiting for nimble the storage integration for nimble as we are using Veeam for the last 2 years in the organization and have just entered 2 Nimble storage machines to 2 of our branches.
is there an estimate on when will it be?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There are no estimations at this time.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Feel free, though, to post your preferences in the corresponding thread. Thanks.