Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam annoyances/feature requests

Post by rimvydukas »

Hi,

I have a few and was told to fill feature requests in the forum (by Veeam support)

1. When I use SAN only option and when I want to backup VMs without disks attached backup job simply fails. It would be nice to see a fix for this.

2. When I have virtual machines with vapp options set in their configurations, Veeam is simply not able to backup these options. Because of that, when such machines are restored - they are useless as vapp options are not restored:( Badly need a fix.

3. My major annoyance. Tried to fill feature requests since v7, still no change in v9:( When we select backup job there is an button - "Report". When I press on this button and if backup job has long history browser with report shows after so long time that this option gets simply unusable:( I requested a feature to be able to select time interval when the user push this button. We would be able to avoid LOOOOONG delays in such case. Is it so hard for guys at Veeam to implement such simple feature at last?????
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2712 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam annoyances/feature requests

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

1. Hmm... can you please elaborate a bit more on why do need to backup VMs without virtual disks attached?
2. Do you refer to reservation settings etc?
3. Yes, I perfectly remember this request that we discussed long ago and it does make sense. Unfortunately, this FR is pending for our next updates, as currently there seems to be a workaround, but in another product.

Thank you for your feedback!
rimvydukas
Enthusiast

Post by rimvydukas »

1. Vitaliy, could you elaborate why veeam can't do this?:) Config files are on san and when vm has disk attached veeam are able to backup config files without any single problem:) Programmers didn't think about such situation? As for a need, we have such virtual machines without disks for various purposes, these machines have configuration options set and we do not want to be forced to remember how was each machine configured in case we will need to restore one quickly.

2. Each vm has vapp options section in its configuration. If vm is appliance this section is used. For example kaspersky svm. And when machine is restored, it is restored without these options as it is backed up without these options too, so vm gets unusable. Had support request on this and was told to fill feature request.

3. When can I expect this feature request to be implemented? I think that this change would be very easy for your programmers to implement. Your workaround is not an option as when we work with backup jobs we need an ability to quickly look what has happened with job some time ago and I expect to be able to do this in one program and it has a button for this:) Why to make such button if there is no possibility to use it in most cases?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2712 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Yes, this is the first request so far, that's why it was not considered as widely used backup scenario. Maybe if you need to back up these VMs, it would be better to use File Copy or VM Copy jobs instead?

2. Ok, thanks for clarification.

3. I don't have any ETA for this, but I was just discussing this with our SQL developer and he told me that there were lots of optimizations to this reporting view, and these long delays should no longer be observed. I will ask our QC team to double-check that and based on the results we should be able to discuss the ETA of this functionality. Thanks for bringing this once again!
rimvydukas
Enthusiast

Post by rimvydukas »

1. Vitaliy, I agree that there is a way to find various workarounds for the actual shortcoming but as for now I can't see any serious reason why veeam can't backup VM machines without disk attached. Maybe you'll tell me such reason. It seems like this was not completely thought programming result. I strongly hope, that you'll be able to fix this problem in future versions.

3. I don't know what your SQL developer says but I have two months job history and I HAVE huge delays. Please, enhance this button functionality or simple remove it as it is still unusable:( I still don't understand such programming approach - why to retrieve data for one year if I need data only for particular day or week:/ Such approach is simply inefficient.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1180 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

In regards to 3, you can always double click the job and use the arrow keys to the left or right to go through previous sessions as well :-).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari » 1 person likes this post

1. Can you name another Product that can handle such situations? I dont think the VMware API is able to handle this. Why would you backup a VM without any disks? Its the first time I hear of someone having such a request.
BTW You could still attach a simple dummy disk with 1MB for VMware to be able to make a snapshot of the VM. Not a big deal, really.
rimvydukas
Enthusiast

Post by rimvydukas »

PariPari wrote:1. Can you name another Product that can handle such situations? I dont think the VMware API is able to handle this. Why would you backup a VM without any disks? Its the first time I hear of someone having such a request.
BTW You could still attach a simple dummy disk with 1MB for VMware to be able to make a snapshot of the VM. Not a big deal, really.
Yes, my solution was to attach dummy disk. And because I've encountered this problem I wanted to hear clear answer - is it some kind of API issue which is impossible to fix or is it simply programmers issue. Still hope to see a fix in the future:)
rimvydukas
Enthusiast

Post by rimvydukas »

vmniels wrote:In regards to 3, you can always double click the job and use the arrow keys to the left or right to go through previous sessions as well :-).
Thank you very much about this suggestion, I didn't knew about it:) Very nice:) But I still need this damn button fixed:)
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

Hi rimvydukas,

I just checked how long it takes to generate the report for a 12 month period and it is just under 40 seconds in our case for an 8 VM backup job. It is long but not that long.

Cheers.