Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Veeam Azure backup+VBR for on-premise

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

do you have some experience with this setup, or some hints what to do better?

I would like to do a setup by a customer which has a hyper-v standalone server with a VM for AD and rest of his servers are located in azure like another AD VM, VM with SQL installed etc....

I would like to deploy a VM on hyper-v where I would Install VBR and also add the backup for azure plugin.
As backup target I would suggest to use a SOBR with azure blob as performance tier and wasabi as capacity tier as its not possible to add NAS/local storage as capacity tier.

As I understand:
1. Azure VM with SQL installed, I can not do a SQL consistent backup with Veeam Azure backup, its only working for Azure SQL service so I would need to install on that VM a Veeam agent and do it with app. aware processing, the same for Azure VM where AD is running?

2. If you would install VBR on a VM running in azure and doing backup first to Azure blob I would save azure egress data as the primary backup on performance tier would not leave cloud? Only the second copy to capacity tier would make egress?

3. For the azure VM backups, there would be still one snapshot left on every disk as next backup is checking differences CBT with the old snapshots we we need to calculate also costs for snapshots?

If anybody would have some hints or comment I would be thankful.

Thank you!
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Re: Veeam Azure backup+VBR for on-premise

Post by BackupBytesTim » 1 person likes this post

I am curious your reasoning for wanting to install VBR in a VM, it's been the normal thing for us, but apparently is NOT recommended under typical circumstances. I know we have serious performance issues and maintenance issues that I believe could be avoided if we did direct on-host VBR installations instead, so I'm curious your reasoning there?

I'm not aware of what speed limits Wasabi might have, but I'm curious why use that as the capacity tier instead of the performance tier? I assume since it's cheaper that it's not as fast as Azure Blob Storage, and I've always been impressed Azure's blob storage, but I've not used Wasabi yet so I can't make a direct comparison. It is something we've been considering using though.

For your numbered points:

1. It sounds like it may be worth doing Agents everywhere, for consistency if nothing else, but that might just be my personal opinion. I do believe it would make doing any app-aware backups on any of the VMs involved easier. Otherwise, for your specific app-aware requirements, yes, you'll need to install the Agent, unless something changed recently there's no ability to do app-aware backups with Veeam's Azure Backup

2. Yes, that should be accurate. There should be no egress fees related to your performance tier backup, there may be additional expenses depending on your chosen blob storage tier though, which may be especially worth considering for recovery.

3. I'm not entirely sure if the snapshot is retained otherwise, but to my knowledge Veeam's CBT tracking does not rely on the previous backup's snapshot existing, though I don't believe there would be any additional cost for the snapshot being on the VM disk one way or another as it's just more data on a fixed size virtual disk, which is billed based on the fixed size, not the contents/usage. Unless I'm misunderstanding.