Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cphillips
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Colin Phillips

Veeam B&R 6.5 installation problem

Post by cphillips »

All

I'm trying to install a licensed version of Veeam B&R 6.5 onto a Windows Server 2008 R2 standard edition. When it's installing the SQL section it comes up with the following error:

"The setup was unable to install new instance of Microsoft SQL Server. Make sure this server meets minimum server requirements, or try installing it manually."

I'm selecting all the defaults (install a new instance of SQL, etc). I've uninstalled completely, tried installing SQL Server 2012 express (which also failed). I've also gone through the registry and removed all entries relating to SQL server (and deleted any leftover folder structures relating to Veeam/SQL server from the Program Files directories).

Please advise how to fix this - I can't format the server it is on as it's a backup Domain Controller!

Regards
Colin
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R 6.5 installation problem

Post by foggy »

Colin, could you please check whether the account you are using to run setup has enough privileges to install/create databases?
cphillips
Influencer

Post by cphillips »

foggy wrote:Colin, could you please check whether the account you are using to run setup has enough privileges to install/create databases?
Hi Foggy

I am running it as administrator. I've also tried selecting "Run as administrator" which has made no difference.

Regards
Colin
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then I suggest contacting support directly to investigate further.
cphillips
Influencer

Post by cphillips »

foggy wrote:Then I suggest contacting support directly to investigate further.
Hi Foggy

I've just done that, and discovered that SQL Server can't be installed at all on a Read Only Domain Controller which is the situation I am in!

Kind regards
Colin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, as far as I know, SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server service accounts on a read-only domain controller. Therefore, setup fails. Thanks.