Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kmile
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kamil Smagorzewski

Veeam B&R 8 WAN Accelerator for offsite Replication

Post by kmile »

Hello,

I just upgraded from version 7.5 to Veeam B&R 8 patch 1. One of the reasons was to take advantage of the WAN Accelerators for offsite Replication jobs.
I created two WAN accelerators - one for source, one for target (they are 100 GB each).
While editing an existing offsite replication job and after choosing the source and target WAN accelerators I get the following message: 'Target WAN accelerator cache is empty, consider pre-populating it.'
My question is what is the best and quickest way of doing it? I know that you can go to each WAN accelerator and select 'populate' but is it the fastest way? Do I need to populate source and target WAN accelerator?
Sorry this is my first experience with WAN accelerators...

Your assistance as always will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Kamil
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam B&R 8 WAN Accelerator for offsite Replication

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Kamil,

Global cache population is not mandatory. Population is really useful for the first jobs, but then the cache will be filled automatically based on the finished jobs.

So, it`s up to you. The fastest way is not to populate it manually at all; but, if you want to leverage WAN acceleration from the very first jobs you can populate it. Here is an explanation how to do the manual population.
Choose backups of VMs you are replicating, and VBR will copy its datablocks to the cache. For the fastest population select backup repositories on the same site where the target WAN accelerator is located. Thanks.
kmile
Enthusiast

Post by kmile »

Thanks.
Currently we have the Standard edition of Veeam B&R 8. We temporarily applied the trial Enterprise Plus license to evaluate the additional features it gives to see if we would benefit from them.
I re-configured one of the offsite replication jobs to use the WAN accelerator.

What is the best way of comparing the performance we were getting before using the WAN accelerator and now?

Also when the trial license expires and we decide to revert back to the Standard edition what will happen to this particular replication job? Will it simply drop the WAN accelerator feature and continue to function as before?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Kamil,
kmile wrote:What is the best way of comparing the performance we were getting before using the WAN accelerator and now?
If you use Veeam One, you can easily see how much data your WAN accelerators saved. If you don`t you can just review report of the replication jobs you ran before and after the accelerator deployment to see how much time it took and how much data was transferred.
kmile wrote:Also when the trial license expires and we decide to revert back to the Standard edition what will happen to this particular replication job? Will it simply drop the WAN accelerator feature and continue to function as before?
Correct it will work, but not using the acceleration.

Thanks.
kmile
Enthusiast

Post by kmile »

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Kamil!
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking.