Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Veeam B&R add server wizard-compatibility issue (bug?)

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hello,

last week I was working in a customer environment: one backup server 9.5 U3a installed for a virtual infratsructure vSphere 6.7 migration and one backup server 9.0 U2.

I started the "add windows server wizard" on the 9.5 backup server, typed ip address and credentials of the other 9.0 backup server, checking components (transport already installed) and I canceled the wizard.

I did not finished the wizard, so I thought that nothing was happened.

Suddenly, the 9.0 stopped to work: "veeam backup console xxx is not compatible with installer service" !

I was able to reproduce the issue in my lab (with a 9.5 U3a and a 9.5 U3 backup server).

Is it a normal behaviour?!

Regards

Marco S.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam B&R add server wizard-compatibility issue (bug?)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marco,

Older version of Veeam B&R are not compatible with latest Installer service version, so such behavior is expected. Most likely the Installer service was upgraded while you were walking thru the Add managed server in 9.5 Veeam B&R. The quick fix would be to connect to the managed server, open Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Installer Service Component (then you might need to reboot the server). Let us know how it goes.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hello Dima,

I understand it was upgraded, the question is "is it a normal behaviuor" ? :)

p.s. : I've already upgraded the old backup server to the latest version, so the issue is not still present..(what happen if I unistall the installer service? it will be reinstalled to the correct version after server reboot?)

Regards

Marco S.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

what happen if I unistall the installer service? it will be reinstalled to the correct version after server reboot?
You need to 're run' the Add managed server wizard. At the Apply step Veeam B&R should check the components installed on this machine and make the corresponding adjustments if required (update or install missing packages).