Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Veeam B&R App being really slow

Post by JackT »

Hi,
Over the last couple of days, I've noticed that the Veeam Backup and Replication app has been running extremely slowly, often displaying the message "This operation is taking longer than expected. Keep waiting, or click cancel to terminate it". For example, I will try and click on the "Home" tab, and it will take around 10 minutes to load, or not even load at all. It is really damaging our ability to manage backups, as the backups themselves are also failing, and we can't fix them until the app is working again.

I've opened a support case for this too, as this is kind of a technical issue - Case no.#05605529.

Anyone know what's going on here? Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
J
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam B&R App being really slow

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jack

Thanks for the case number. I saw, that you have opened it just 10 min ago.
Please give our support team a chance to analyze the logs, which by the way are missing in the case.
To help our support team, you should upload a complete log collection. It will also speed up the process, because the first thing your support engineer will ask for are the debugs logs:
https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
This operation is taking longer than expected. Keep waiting, or click cancel to terminate it
I saw this message when the connection between VBR and the configuration database wasn't fast enough. Or when the MSSQL server had performance issues to deliver the requested data to the VBR server.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
JackT
Enthusiast

Post by JackT »

Is it even possible to collect the logs for the application itself? If so, how is it done?
the connection between VBR and the configuration database wasn't fast enough. Or when the MSSQL server had performance issues to deliver the requested data to the VBR server.
Not sure I follow, basically just a connection error between VBR and servers?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I just posted the KB article in my first comment on how to collect logs for Veeam Backup & Replication.
Not sure I follow, basically just a connection error between VBR and servers?
Veeam Backup & Replication stores all its configuration (backup jobs, available restore points, history, general settings, ...) in a database on the Microsoft SQL Server.
This can be the a MS SQL Express which comes with the Veeam installation or a MS SQL server which you have provided in the installation wizard.

When you see that message "This operation is taking longer than expected. Keep waiting, or click cancel to terminate it", it could mean Veeam is trying to get the configuration from the MS SQL database, but the configuration retrieval took longer than expected. To confirm issues with this connection (VBR >>> MS SQL database), please provide the logs in the support case and let our support team analyze it.

Thanks
Fabian
JackT
Enthusiast

Post by JackT »

Alright, I'll try and upload the logs when the program eventually allows me to do so.

Thanks,
Jack
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If this is not the case, you can collect all logs manually yourself from this folder: %ProgramData%\Veeam\Backup
Create a Zip archive with the entire folder and upload it to the case.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jack,

You can also check most expensive queries in VeeamBackup database and share this info with your support engineer if he suspects that your issue is related to SQL performance.

Thanks!
JackT
Enthusiast

Post by JackT »

Thanks Petr, the SQL server is definitely the issue. I tried restarting all Veeam-related tasks yesterday but that didn't work.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for sharing the outcome of the case.
As I expected in my first answer. When I faced this error message, almost every time it was the SQL server.

Thanks
Fabian
JackT
Enthusiast

Post by JackT » 2 people like this post

Hi Fabian,

What ended up happening was, the engineer told me that there wasn't enough RAM on the Veeam Server to process some of the long SQL queries. I then checked said server to find one of the Virtual Machines running on it taking up 63GB of RAM. After fixing that, things got back to normal, and am now fixing the inconsistencies.

I appreciate the help guys, thank you.
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

To chime in here, I've seen this issue related to disk latency on Dell PowerEdge servers three times now. In three separate cases, the Veeam UI goes to a crawl, and VMWare disk latency metrics are off the charts (we virtualize our VBR console server for reasons explained here: veeam-backup-replication-f2/vm-as-repo-t82085.html).

The only thing that ever fixes it is running firmware updates and getting a new RAID card firmware. I think all three times have been on a 13th generation server (R730XD, T630). It seems like Dell had some buggy RAID firmware on that generation. While it slowed down the whole server, it was by far MOST noticeable on Veeam, and that's when we knew to look at latency and firmware updates (which fixed it every time).