Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Veeam B&R > clean removal of VeeamFLR

Post by xmzmc »

Hi,

I'm trying a recovery of a specific file of a Linux VM in Veeam B&R. I use 'Guest files restore' for this and to do this, Veeam fires up a temporary appliance. At one point in the restore process, when configuring the temporary appliance, the deployment of the temporary appliance fails with "Failed to mount restore point". I retried a couple of times but same result. I don't know why but fine, I'll do a full VM restore which does work but now I would like to know what to do with the temporary Veeam appliances and how to delete them properly. Because when I now look in my vCenter > in Hosts and clusters view, it shows a bunch of temporary appliances (not running) in this naming scheme: VeeamFLR_vmname. When I right click them, 'Delete from disk' is grayed out but 'Remove from inventory' is not grayed out. Can I just remove from inventory? Will that be enough for a clean removal?

Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam B&R > clean removal of VeeamFLR

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
that sounds strange. I recommend to open a support case to fix the root cause.

Remove from inventory is fine. The reason you cannot remove it from disk is, that the datastore doesn't exist anymore. VBR presents itself as NFS datastore to VMware and if that failed for whatever reason, then it's not there anymore.

It's similar to instant VM recovery https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110, which you could use as alternative to full-vm restore.

With V11, you could also use any Linux machine as helper host https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Veeam B&R > clean removal of VeeamFLR

Post by xmzmc »

Thanks for your reply. I've removed them from inventory and everything seems ok now.