Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sunking2498
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Moore

Veeam B&R Instant Recovery & Data Domain

Post by sunking2498 »

Hi, I am looking at EMC Data Domain as an option for a Veeam Backup & Replication repository and can't seem to find anything that confirms the Instant Recovery feature will work with a Data Domain device such as the DD6300. Has does anyone have any experience or knowlege of running Instant Recovery from Data Domain repositories?

Thanks in advance!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam B&R Instant Recovery & Data Domain

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

All of our restore options will work regardless of a backup repository type, as Veeam Backup & Replication is completely storage agnostic.

However, as you'd expect, random I/O performance will be very poor for backups residing on deduplication storage appliances with inline deduplication. For this reason, we don't recommend using them as a primary backup repositories. They are best used as secondary/archive repositories, for storing backup copies on a long-term retention.

Thanks!
sunking2498
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Moore

Post by sunking2498 »

That's good to know, thanks for the information!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Worth checking our reference architecture, which describes the approach in detail.
jnap
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by jnap » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I used DD6300 and i can assure you that instant recovery is not possible...
It works but very very slow...
Backup performance is good with DD6300 but restore (in any ways) are quite slow...
The best approach if you want to have best restore performance is to have a fast repo for primary backups (like a non dedup storage) and then backup copy to dedupe appliance for archival or long retention.
If you get other models of DD, with SSD cache, it can be better but it's not the same price :)