Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jonboy20100
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam B+R MPIO

Post by jonboy20100 »

We currently have veeam B+R setup and running, it seems fine and i am just doing some fine tuning, we have a EVA 4400 running with ESX4.1 the LUN's MPio are configured using HP's and VMWares best practises (ALUA Round Robin), we have presented these LUN's to the B+R Server for SAN enabled backups. My question is do we need to tell the B+R server MPio driver which mode to use also?

Our Hardware is as follows
HP EVA4400 (FC)
HP BL460c ESX 4.1

Windows 2003R2 x64 - Veeam B+R Server
bc07
Enthusiast
Full Name: Enrico

Re: Veeam B+R MPIO

Post by bc07 »

Do you want to use multiple paths at the same time (load balance)? Then I would recommend installing Multipath software for your storage system.

If you don't have any multipath software installed then the same disk will show up multiple times in Windows Disk Management and some of them as offline. During a path failover (HBA down, Switch down, Storage down) you may need to assign a drive letter to the disk that is then available (and was before offline). I use for EMC PowerPath MPIO software and for Infortrend nothing at he moment and haven't experienced any issues yet.
jonboy20100
Novice

Post by jonboy20100 »

I have the HP multipath software installed and thats the question, which mode should be multipath software be in ?
options include:
Shortest Queue Service Time (SQST)
Shortest Queue Requests (SQR)
Shortest Queue Bytes (SQB)
No Load Balance (NLB)

Also im not sure if i should enable Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB)

Thanks
Jon
jonboy20100
Novice

Post by jonboy20100 »

I forgot to add Round Robin (RR) as a mode
bc07
Enthusiast
Full Name: Enrico

Post by bc07 »

I would try without load balancing first to if it works and to check what the speed is at full backups, then I would try the different load balance modes.