Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dylan0108
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: dylan wu

Veeam B&R: Replication job scheduling

Post by dylan0108 »

Logged a ticket on this, but there doesn't seem to be any respond to it, so here i am.

We have a backup and replication job processing a file server running on 2 separate Veeam servers connected over WAN. This is the issue:
As far as i know, if there are 2 Veeam servers processing a VM at the same time ( ex. backup and replication running at the same time), one of them will fail.
We are backing up the file server on a local Veeam server on a daily basis. At the same time, we are doing a replication of the same file server on our DR site.

How can I make my replication job run after the backup on another Veeam server has finished running? If all these jobs are running in the same Veeam server, there is a setting to "Run the job automatically" "After this job", but since the backup is on another server, the backup job is not showing there.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam B&R: Replication job scheduling

Post by veremin »

You can:

- Either consolidate backup and replication jobs within one server
- Or write a PS script that being set as a pre-job activity will connect to a backup server, check whether the backup job is running and put on hold or run the replication job, based on the results it gets

Thanks!
virtualnessUK
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Graham

Post by virtualnessUK »

Why the separate Veeam server?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

It's recommended to manage replication jobs from the DR site instance of Veeam B&R, so in case of disaster you are able to failover with minimum downtime.
Also, it's better to allow that instance to manage not only replications, but all the jobs, since a distributed infrastructure allows you to perform backup jobs on the production site locally even when your management backup server in the DR site. Thanks!