Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam B&R Server OS Upgrade question

Post by ChuckS42 »

I'm working towards my first experience with a VBR server OS upgrade.

Looking over kb1803, there's a note:
"You can point the new instance of Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 to the existing database. In this case, you will not need to restore configuration backup as described in step 11. However, after installation of Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 is complete, you will need to re-define all credentials used for connecting to virtual infrastructure servers, Windows servers, SMB3 servers, Linux servers and credentials used for guest processing."

First, I assume this KB applies to all releases of VBR 6.5 and later (should edit the KB).

Secondly, reading between the lines, does this imply that if I DO restore the configuration backup, I won't have to re-define the credentials, and that the database re-pointing happens automatically.

Is this correct?
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R Server OS Upgrade question

Post by foggy »

Hi Chuck, just to provide proper recommendations, could you please describe your entire scenario - are you upgrading just the OS or Veeam B&R itself as well? Is it an in-place upgrade or you're migrating to another server? Thanks!
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

Just the OS. Already on the latest VBR. Build a new server (maybe with a new name) with the new OS, restore config backup from old server.
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Got it. Basically, if you're restoring the configuration from the backup protected by a password, you do not need to re-enter credentials as they are decrypted upon configuration backup and stored there. If you're simply reconnecting to the existing database, credentials should be updated.

I will ask to check if any update is needed for this KB - there's a chance we have separate ones for different versions - thanks anyway!
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

Thanks!
Veeaming since 2013
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 » 1 person likes this post

Circling back, just did this migration, and it worked swimmingly. The only gotcha was the few custom registry keys I had added to the old server (e.g., EnableSameHostDirectNFSMode and MaxSnapshotsPerDatastore) had to be manually recreated. I don't recall there being a note regarding this with the configuration restoration process, but maybe there should be? A small thing.
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks Chuck! Valid note, I will pass it to the documentation team.