Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Re: Veeam B&R v9 released

Post by btmaus » 2 people like this post

NightBird wrote:Check your Veeam portal :)

https://www.veeam.com/backup-replication-download.html

Have a lot of fun

Boris
Thanks, but I'll wait for all you guinea pigs to find all the show stopper bugs first! :D
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

alanbolte wrote:I can't comment about the specific icons and colors but the UI was being rebuilt anyway to support the remote console. I've also found a number of minor ways it just works better, like drag-select.
Installed yesterday (as usual without problems, thanks Veeam) and this morning just the Remote Console is a real bonus for me to check without using RDP that everything worked as it should for the first night after the upgrade. It did, of course, so now I want to start tweaking some of the extra features.
Thinking of that, I remember some features were announced as 'this will be switched off by default during an upgrade, in order to maintain an upgrade as close to what it was. They will need switching on manually if you want to use them' . . . but now I can't remember what those features were. Is there any documentation that might point me in the right direction?
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What's new is a right place to find those hidden gems. One of those is BitLooker switched off by default.

This script might be helpful if you want to enable it for all existing jobs automatically.

Thanks.
Ink
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by Ink » 3 people like this post

Veeam team, great job. Apart from the cosmetic UI bug I mentioned about earlier in the thread, this is a very SOLID release.

The SQL log truncation errors as well as the RPC errors have both been resolved in this update. I know you had hotfixes for v8 to address both of these problems but this release takes care of them and more. Love the remote console and glad to now have clean error free backups and replications.

Thank you!
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

You did a great job with the new Version v9. Congratz!

But one option is still missing from my point of view: I have to authenticate against active Directory if I want to connect to a MS Windows guest virtual machine, if I want to create a veeam application consistent backup for Exchange, SharePoint, MSSQL etc.
Default authentication method for MS Windows Systems is, that it tries to authenticate via Kerberos, and if this fails, it makes a fallback to the unsecure NTLM authentication mechansim. We don't allow this fallback to NTLM (by group policy) for all our Windows servers, because ist definitely an unsecure authentication mechanism.
Unfortunately, Veeam is one of the vendors relying on this authentication fallback to NTLM, it doesn't work with Kerberos authentication. I was hoping, that V9 will bring a change in this behavior.
Dear Veeam developers, can you bring this authentication method in the next update? Am I really the only one on this planet requiring this possiblity? You have such an absolutely great product, please change your authentication method also to a great one, which means Kerberos, because NTLM is definitely no mechanism you should use nowadays.

many thanks and regards
sandsturm
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello sandsturm,
Thank you for the kind words!
You are not the only one asking about Kerberos. You can find NTLM/Kerberos discussion in the related topic. Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

Gostev wrote:(Supporting DPI scaling) is definitely on our radar - in fact, this is the "next big thing" for our UI team.
That's excellent that the UI team is taking it seriously. I've had other vendors tell me they "recommend only using 100% DPI" because they have no intention of properly supporting DPI scaling. If you tell that to a customer, they are likely to assume the same is true of Veeam. I'd recommend including the information about it being worked on when communicating with customers. You might even want to create a KB article for this if one does not exist.
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

A very minor item...When starting the console, there is a login screen and a Save Shortcut option. If I save the shortcut and pin it to the taskbar, then launching from the pinned shortcut causes the console to launch in a second slot on the taskbar. Microsoft's documentation indicates that AppID chaining should be used for to avoid situations like this. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Shestakov wrote:
Hello sandsturm,
Thank you for the kind words!
You are not the only one asking about Kerberos. You can find NTLM/Kerberos discussion in the related topic. Thanks!
I mean, your linked thread don't address my question concerning Kerberos. May be I should open a new discussion for this?

thx
sandsturm
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 1 person likes this post

IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF THE ALL CAPS THAT IS NOW PERVASIVE THROUGH THE CONSOLE UI?

I'm disappointed to see this bad design practice that Microsoft started experimented with in Windows 8 has spread to Veeam. I'm surprised the developers did not object to this design change as Visual Studio was one of the products that received the most criticism when Microsoft tried it over there. Microsoft has since backtracked with Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 and Office 2016. Please provide Veeam users with a way to stop the UI from shouting at them.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

UI design is subjective, so we trust our design team on these decisions. Of course, we cannot possibly hope that every single user will like our design (just like there is no universal color that everyone likes). However, designers can ensure that the majority of people will find the design appealing.

Specific to ALL CAPS in certain places (like column names), I personally love it for example... again, everyone has a different perception.

Generally speaking, my recommendation regarding the new UI is to use it for at least 2 weeks, and then try to go back to v8. THIS will be the moment when you will really appreciate the new design. By now I've seen this happen to more than one person here at Veeam, those who were very skeptical about it initially.

That is not to say this is the final UI - just like every other feature, we will iterate and keep improving it based on the feedback. For example, I know that a few icons here and there need to be improved, and I am also hoping to add some themes to it - for those who have monitors with ugly green color representation (I used to have one myself a few years ago, so I know what it's like).
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Post by TroyResources » 1 person likes this post

GUI Refresh issue, after pressing F5 or moving focus to another area and back again it is gone.
Had this today, quick call with support all good!
Ink wrote:Veeam B&R 9.0.0.902
BUG: If you delete a replica from disk through Veeam the GUI does not update and the replica remains listed. If you try and delete it again it errors out saying VM replica can't be found.

Sloppy bug to slip through to GA.
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Post by TroyResources »

@ Gotstev,

Theme/skin would be nicer option (on the eyes) as we have in Office 2010 and 2016 (not including 2013 as personally themes were terrible)
Have to agree with comment about CAPS in headers as compared to version 8.
gkennedy
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Gavin Kennedy

Post by gkennedy » 2 people like this post

I also quite like the use of upper-case in the headers etc...

UI looks good to me - well done team!
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Just wanted to post two things...

Upgraded to v9 today and it was very painless and went smoothly...

Secondly, whilst I digest the new info on v9 are there are any recommended settings to turn on for current backup/replication jobs?

Tomorrow results will be interesting for us!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Nick!
One of the things you may want to enable is bitlooker. You can enable it manually in each job or use this script.
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by cparker4486 »

sandsturm wrote:Default authentication method for MS Windows Systems is, that it tries to authenticate via Kerberos, and if this fails, it makes a fallback to the unsecure NTLM authentication mechansim. We don't allow this fallback to NTLM (by group policy) for all our Windows servers, because ist definitely an unsecure authentication mechanism.
If you don't mind, I'd like to learn more about this. Is this what you are referring to? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.10).aspx and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 52241.aspx.
-- Chris
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 3 people like this post

I was successful in pinning a shortcut to the taskbar that automatically connects to the localhost instance without creating a second taskbar button.

The solution is...
1. Open the console.
2. Click the "Save shortcut" link.
3. Close the console.
4. Start the console from the new shortcut on the desktop.
5. Pin the running version of the console you just started.
6. Delete the desktop shortcut.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi cparker4486

Yes, you're right. The first of your links shows all These Kerberos settings, we used thw following two of them:

Restrict NTLM: Incoming NTLM traffic sat to: Deny all Domain accounts
Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers sat to: Deny all

I would be really great, if you could implement a working Kerberos authentication in your product, otherwise we can't use it in our infrastructure. Maybe other Clients do have the same Problems as well?

Thank you and regards
sandsturm
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Nick!
One of the things you may want to enable is bitlooker. You can enable it manually in each job or use this script.
Thank you, I actually knew about that one and turned it on all jobs yesterday.

Today, everything went brilliantly with our backups and replication but I'm away to compare stats from version 8 runs of the jobs!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

@sandstum,
VBR uses SSPI (Security Support Provider Interface) for authentication which contains both Kerberos and NTLM with a priority to the first one.
The possible reason why NTLM was used is the credentials you provided. Have you specified local or domain credentials?
Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

@Shestakov

Veeam Services are running with aDomain account and I use the same account to connect to the guest virtual machines. If NTLM is disabled (Restrict NTLM: Incoming NTLM traffic sat to: Deny all Domain accounts; Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers sat to: Deny all) I can't do an application Aware processing for the Job for example. It fails, because no connection can be done to the guest System. I can't see a Kerberos ticket on my Client and I can't see a Kerberos authentication in the log of the guest System. If I enable the NTLM fallback, I'm able to do application Aware processing for the backup Jobs without problems. For me a clear indication, that Kerberos doesn't work.
I'm not sure if I need to create some additional SPN's for the Domain account, which I use to run veeam Services? Because normally additional SPN's are required for Services which are running with a specific Domain account to allow a successful Kerberos authentication. Is there any additional documentation available about this topic somewhere? I didn't found some...

thx and regards
sandstum
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sandstum,
I believe there is no such a documentation in the web. If you have DC in your infrastructure, Kerberos should be used for authentication by default.
The easiest way to find out the issue is to contact Veeam technical support and review the logs.
Dario.Palmisano
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dario Palmisano

Post by Dario.Palmisano »

Hello Everybody,

I updated yesterday, since then I had troubles with several replication jobs, whose log says:

1/19/2016 1:10:32 PM :: Failed to create processing task for VM BBB Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created
1/19/2016 1:10:44 PM :: Job finished with error at 1/19/2016 1:10:40 PM

I tried many ways to modify the job (removing and adding the VM and other knid of modifications), doing so I successfully corrected the job, but for others there is no way to solve...

Please advice...

Thanks

Dario
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dario,
As the error stated, you might have a corrupted VM being processed by the job.
Dario.Palmisano wrote:I tried many ways to modify the job (removing and adding the VM and other knid of modifications), doing so I successfully corrected the job, but for others there is no way to solve...
Did the job finish successfully after you had excluded the VM from it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dario, please review existing thread discussing similar issues and contact technical support for a closer look at what happens. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

homerjnick wrote: Thank you, I actually knew about that one and turned it on all jobs yesterday.
Today, everything went brilliantly with our backups and replication but I'm away to compare stats from version 8 runs of the jobs!
It would be great if you share your results with us. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I am locking this thread now to prevent further sprawl of multiple unrelated discussions.