Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jjongrav
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JJ

Veeam Backup and replication 6.0

Post by jjongrav »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what files are rquired for a restore of both the VM and data. Currently we are backing up our virtual environment using Veeam 6.0 and have set all jobs to "Enable Synthetic Full" with a full backup on Saturday.
Now my dilemma is that we have set a nightly backup to tape using Backup Exec and that the nightly tape backups are backing up 14 days worth of VRB files only and not the VBK file. for 40+ servers and 1 LTO4 tape drive the data cannot fit on the one tape. This usually wouldnt be an issue but our tape and backup inrastructure is offsite and to change tapes our data centre host will be charging us money.
I guess my question is, what files should I be backing up to tape (Nightly) in order to be able to restore both the VM and its data from backup if the need arises.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup and replication 6.0

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Looks like you're using forward incremental backup mode which simply cannot have VRB files unless you check "transform synthetic full backup chains into rollbacks" option. That said, you need to offload only VIB files (incremental points) during each day and VBK (full backup) once it is created. Please note that in order to restore to any day of the week you will need entire chain of backup files (VBK+VIBs).

On top of that, we have a lot of existing topics highlighting best practices of tape backup offload procedures, please check them out: http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=p ... mental+VBK

Hope this helps!
jjongrav
Novice

Post by jjongrav »

Thanks for your reply. I will try this and let you kno how I go.

Cheers
jjongrav
Novice

Post by jjongrav »

Also, we do have "transform synthetic full backup chains into roll back", when would you recommend backing up the vrb files, or will ther be a need to backup te vrb files?
Just ot clarrify.
I have set a Full backup in Veeam to run on friday with Forward incremental mode with the "transform....." option selected. Therefore on Monday - Friday I only need to copy the VIB files to tape? And during the weekend i can backup the VBK file to tape which is currently how I have it except rather than backing up the VIBs I am backing up the vrbs?

Im a little confused at the moment. Please further clarify.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jjongrav wrote:Also, we do have "transform synthetic full backup chains into roll back", when would you recommend backing up the vrb files, or will ther be a need to backup te vrb files?
If you're backing up VIB files there is no need to backup VRB files, as these restore points are essentially "the same".
jjongrav wrote:I have set a Full backup in Veeam to run on friday with Forward incremental mode with the "transform....." option selected. Therefore on Monday - Friday I only need to copy the VIB files to tape?
Yes.
jjongrav wrote:And during the weekend i can backup the VBK file to tape which is currently how I have it except rather than backing up the VIBs I am backing up the vrbs?
Yes.