Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
parvez_khp
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Parvez Khan

Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by parvez_khp »

Dear Team, Greetings

I have a Veeam backup job running starting from Sunday to Thursday, five days a week; it's an incremental backup, and no synthetic or active full backup option is selected. I have created a backup copy of the same backup starting from Sunday to Friday, six days a week. I have selected a weekly full backup option every Friday. But it's not creating a full backup on Friday. Why?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by Mildur »

Hello Parvez

May I ask, any reason why not just doing backups everyday?

You create backups from Sunday to Thursday. I assume, the Thursday backup was copied already on the Thursday copy job session. If you don't create a backup on Friday, the backup copy job on Friday doesn't have anything to copy anymore and does nothing. Make sure, there is a backup on Friday to copy.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
parvez_khp
Influencer

Post by parvez_khp »

Dear Fabian,

Thank you for your response. The backup job is set to store data in a hardened repository, with GFS settings configured to keep one weekly full backup on Fridays. However, it is not currently performing this task.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Make sure the backup job "runs" on Friday. Then a GFS backup will be created on Friday by the backup job.
The copy job can then take the "weekly restore point" from Friday and copy it.

If you think it doesn't work, please open a case with our customer support and let me know the case number.

Best,
Fabian
parvez_khp
Influencer

Post by parvez_khp »

Dear Fabian
To clarify, there are two backup jobs in place. The first backup job runs from Sunday to Thursday, five days a week, and performs incremental backups. It does not have synthetic or active full backup configurations and stores data in the NAS repository.

The second copy backup job, which runs from Sunday to Friday, six days a week, takes a copy of the same backup. This backup is then stored in the hardened repository. To store the backup in the hardened repository, the GFS setting is mandatory. I have configured the GFS settings to keep one weekly full backup on Fridays.

However, I am confused as to why the copy job is not running on Fridays, as GFS settings are mandatory. For the copy job to run on Fridays, a full backup needs to be taken on that day. Otherwise, the copy job will not run.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

However, I am confused as to why the copy job is not running on Fridays, as GFS settings are mandatory. For the copy job to run on Fridays, a full backup needs to be taken on that day. Otherwise, the copy job will not run.
Any backup taken by the "primary backup job" on Friday is ok. Full backup or incremental. The copy job doesn't copy backup files 1:1. It reads the content of files and creates a new backup file accordingly to the configured retention. -
--> The source job may create a incremental backup, but the copy job can create a full backup.

As I told you in my previous comment:
Your "primary backup job" does not create any backup on Friday. The copy job won't copy the Thursday backup twice.
If you want to have a copy on Friday, then there must be a backup to copy. Enable backups by the primary backup job on Friday as I have suggested and check again.

Feel free to open a case with our customer support to let them check your settings.

Best,
Fabian