Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jake1110
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jake Ernst

Re: Veeam Backup Browser Very Slow

Post by jake1110 »

It appears it's helping out somewhat as I've finally had some restore successes on simple test files. Keep in mind, if you're using Enterprise Manager, it will simply report "Success" after 15 minutes no matter what so it's useless. In order to see the real status, you have to log into the Veeam BR server itself and look at the running jobs. I've got my timeouts bumped way up to 3600, or 4 times the default 900. I did this just to make sure we wouldn't hit the threshold anymore in our testing.

I have three Veeam servers which balance out all my jobs for the remote sites and I'm seeing an odd BSOD issue on two of them that I'm working through. The BSOD occurs during a restore attempt, even with no AV installed. Of course I already have a case opened on this issue and I consider it unrelated.

I'll update again when it's stable and we're seeing consistently successful restores.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

@ jake, thanks! Good to know.

@Veeam, any idea if the ability to run a single Veeam B&R server and manage remote proxies is something that's added in the next version of Veeam? I imagine this is would be a really nice feature for any company with remote site backups as they wouldn't have to have separate installation of Veeam at each site.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Farshid, are you referring to mounting backup files to proxy servers, then this feature is on our radar, but there is no ETA yet.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thanks V. Mounting backups on proxy servers is what I was referring to. Good to know this is on the radar. Thanks!
marcottt
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Tonoli

Post by marcottt »

Hi all,
i think have same issue, some week ago made for a customer a veeam backup server to manage some local esxi to local NAS and remote esxi in remote sites (four) to remote NAS.

Now i think when will be necessary recover file for remote server, so if i understand well, the restore will move the file data from remote nas to central veeam backup server and then to remote site again ? i think is a big problem if really, because if i need to restore big data will be not possible.

I can install a remote veeam server if i need but wil be time and resource request... not good solution not usable workaround if there is not time...

Seem there is some workaround, meanwhile veeam make solution at this problem, is possible to make some tutorial or document specific for this issue?
thank you

Marco
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it will still try to mount the disk image at the home office and while it's only the blocks needed to actually mount the image and copy the files required that must traverse the WAN, this can still be quite a lot of data overall, especially if the link is slow. Support should be able to help you increase the 15 minute timeout for the device to mount.
marcottt
Enthusiast

Post by marcottt »

@tsightler thank if your answer is for me, but this may be a nightmare.... if i tell this to customer sure he do not buy Veeam for this job.... what if i need to restore one or more vm?

Seem strange this is so technically difficult to workaround, veeam appear to made many more complex thing in the past but hope will solve soon....

bye
Marco
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Marco, some features may seem easier to implement then they really are. While installing an additional Veeam B&R instance to handle restores in remote location is really an easy task that does not require any additional effort but will tremendously improve restore performance.

We do appreciate your feedback, though.
marcottt
Enthusiast

Post by marcottt »

foggy please do not understand me :oops: , i love veeam and i know some thing are complex but appear simple and viceversa sometimes, only strange this is not a point cover by a clear document or info. i will install veeam b&r in every site now, hope do not use it.

if possible, a simple solution like a virtual appliance only for recover remote data will be appreciate.

thanks
marco
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

This feature is high on my priorities list, but as noted, it's pretty heavy weight and has an extremely easy workaround available (local B&R install for restores), which is why we've been sacrificing this one to other pending features.
usefuldavey
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Kent

Post by usefuldavey » 1 person likes this post

+1 for feature request of mounting backup files to proxy servers. The work around is understood but doesn't scale well and creates a plethora of B&R instances to install and patch, somewhat negating the centrally managed design...
usefuldavey
Novice

Post by usefuldavey »

...in addition I've just notices another problem to the workaround. I want to use the 'Veeam Restore Operator role' to delegate some file/folder restores back to local support guys whilst still protecting my backup repositories and preventing the creation of new jobs in the 'cold console'. Problem is this role doesn't have the rights to rescan the repository so fails at the first hurdle! Leaving me very vulnerable...

cough...feature request...cough!
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by edfops » 1 person likes this post

Plus one on a feature request here, it completely kills being able to centrally manage multiple sites.

Installing the console across all sites adds such a burden in terms of upgrading.
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

Plus one on a feature request here also!

\Masonit
meeyou
Influencer
Full Name: John White

Post by meeyou »

+1 request for this feature.

Recently had to tear down and rebuild the Veeam setup for a new multisite client after this became a deal breaker. It would be great if we could configure things to stay local on the restore side like we can on the backup side.
VladV
Expert
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

+1 for this feature as well.

Wanted to restore some emails with VEX from a backup copy job on a remote site and noticed that it pulled a lot of data before being able to list the mailboxes. Then a lot of time was spent expanding the inbox to pick up the email.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Any news here on this topic? implemented in v8 maybe?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not in v8.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

I am surprised the option of mounting a local backup on a backup proxy still isn't available because I'd imagine any organization with remote sites would benefit from this. Is it at least possible to select which backup source to restore a file from when using the Enterprise Manager web console (as shown below)? In V7 this option is not available.

Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I don't believe so, however we are planning to add better support for remote site deployment in the next release.
ShonGail
Novice

Post by ShonGail »

Hello,

I encounter this problem.
So I search on the internet and I found this topic.
I find it crazy that we can not use FLR with a proxy.
It is for me a very large deficit.
I use the V7 but obviously it's not better with V8 :(
Does the technique "Other OS" is the most appropriate workaround?
Thank you in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, using "Other OS" wizard will allow you to keep restore traffic locally on the DR site. Thanks!
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

You do lose the file/folder permissions though when restoring through the "Other OS" wizard. Losing the permissions is a deal breaker. I am disappointed Veeam is putting this off so much :(
ShonGail
Novice

Post by ShonGail »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, using "Other OS" wizard will allow you to keep restore traffic locally on the DR site. Thanks!
OK.
Thank you :)
ShonGail
Novice

Post by ShonGail »

wa15 wrote:You do lose the file/folder permissions though when restoring through the "Other OS" wizard. Losing the permissions is a deal breaker. I am disappointed Veeam is putting this off so much :(
Thank you for this information.
It's good to know.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You could use rsync to copy files manually preserving permissions.
marcottt
Enthusiast

Post by marcottt »

HI all,
any news about restore from/to remote?
thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not since Anton's reply earlier this month above:
Gostev wrote:I don't believe so, however we are planning to add better support for remote site deployment in the next release.
usefuldavey
Novice

Post by usefuldavey »

On the basis the version of the software I am using is labelled as 'Enterprise' I would expect better support for remote deployments, I see this as a scalability issue and its causing a lot of pain and extra management to work around...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Remember that you can install B&R locally in each remote site for quick restores.