Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
horby
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Robertson

Re: Veeam Backup Browser Very Slow

Post by horby »

Just got hit by this as well. I appreciate foggy/gostev chiming in here with workarounds but this behavior is nuts. I have 80+ sites but currently only have Veeam in my datacenters. I cannot make an argument to displace my legacy backup program with Veeam until this is resolved. I would anticipate many others are in my boat and that if adding this functionality is anywhere but at the top of the list at Veeam then priorities need to be revisited over there.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for your feedback. As Anton has stated above, plans are to address this in the next release, so currently this functionality is around the top of the list.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

We had to spend more than an hour and half to restore some data for a remote site because of this issue today.

While I am glad that Veeam will be adding better support for remote deployments (hopefully soon), I do hope the Veeam team realizes that the workarounds suggested (e.g. using rsync, installing B&R locally) are just that, workarounds. Not solutions. And in many cases they are not practical. For example, installing B&R locally for anything above a few sites is not practical since it adds another B&R installation/SQL Installation to manage and to patch. I have gone as far as trying to install locally on a few sites and this indeed becomes a huge hassle. Specially in cases where using the Enterprise Manager is not possible.

Having invested 22+ sockets in Enterprise Plus licensing, I am really looking forward to having this issue resolved. It is critical enough that we may consider using our previous backup solution for new sites.
digitalnetwork
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicola Percacciante

[MERGED] remote restore from remote site.

Post by digitalnetwork »

Hi all,
We have this deployement:
Main Site: Veeam Backup Server
Remote sites: Veeam backup Proxies and repositories.

Backups are made and stored remotely.

It happens that we have to recover a file from a remote backup, for a remote site.
I was wondering which is the best approach. We have seen that if we choose guest file restore (Windows), the dialog windows is always opened
in the site where veeam backup server is installed. This is avery time consuming operation.

My question is: in this the correct and the best way to do this?

Hope I've been clear but in case don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Cristiano Balestri
Digital Network Srl.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Cristiano, please review the thread above for some hints. Here\s also another existing topic regarding similar issue.
Squeezer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Squeezer »

I would like to have this feature added in the next release as well. Trying to mount a guest image over a WAN link for FLR is painfully slow!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It is planned for the next release.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Is this the next major release or one of the next updates/patches?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Release.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 » 1 person likes this post

I just heard about the additional ROBO feature in v9 of Veeam and sounds like restores will now be taking place on proxies! Very excited about this!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you will be able to designate the Mount Server for every backup repository - whereas in previous versions, it was the actual backup server.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Good stuff. This feature will allow us to scale past our existing 35+ enterprise plus socket licenses!
adrien.herve
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Adrien HERVE

[MERGED] Unable to use FLR on remote proxy

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

I got a backup chain in forward incremental mode, 1 VBK and 34 VIBs stored on a proxy/repository in a branch office. Backups are scheduled daily and there's no problem with that, I have a successful report every morning.
But when I try to restore guests files from my backup server in my datacenter (BTW there's a 2MB WAN bandwith between the backup server and the proxy) the backup explorer is waiting for hours (Please wait...) and nothing happens.
If I try to restore the entire VM files everything is working fine so it means that the backup chain is safe and can be restored.

So what's wrong with file level restore over WAN access?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Adrien, this is expected with such a slow link, since backup is mounted to the backup server itself. See above for details.

We're adding mount server in v9 specifically to address this issue. Currently you can try Other OS wizard to speed up restores.
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Thank you Alex for this fast reply. :)
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

I've tried the FLR appliance but I got an error "1. Appliance is configured to run on different network than backup server. 2. Appliance is configured to obtain IP address automatically, but DHCP server is not avaliable.". I have configured an IP address on the appliance so I guess my error is the #1.
Can you please tell me why the backup server needs to be on the same LAN than the FLR appliance on the ESXi host? If LANs can communicate between WAN there's a possibility to run the FLR appliance with success?

Thanks,
adrien.herve
Enthusiast

Post by adrien.herve »

Hi guys,

Since the FLR appliance is not working I try another solution to be able to restore at file-level. This mode is explained in the VMCE8 Textbook (page 112). The book says that I can leverage instant VM recovery to publish VMDK from a backup on the vPowerNFS datastore without starting the VM. After this I just need to mount these VMDK to any VM that can read the file system (including the orignial VM).
The very last words of this sentence is not true, because it's not recommended to publish the same VMDK to the original VM because they have the same UUID and when i try to mount the VMDK from the vPowerNFS datastore to another VM I got an error message "Failed to add disk scsi0:2. Failed to power on scsi0:2. Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/7bef1fb6-a7d05f2a/VMTEST_FLR_eddf0e0b-427d-42c4-9726-b5000d5d05d9/VMTEST_1.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Failed to lock the file."

Can you help me? I really need to do file-level restore on my branch office and at this time I can't do it with Windows backup browser because of the WAN link between my central backup server and my remote proxy, I can't do it with the FLR appliance because I'm not on the same network and now I can do it with the third method explained in the VMCE textbook... I'm really disapointed with this functionality and I can't wait until the v9... The last idea is to install a backup server directly on the ROBO site and at this point I don't really want to do this.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The FLR proxy appliance must be placed in the same network where the Veeam backup server resides.

You can try to restore the VMDK file using VM disks/files restore options. Installing a dedicated remote Veeam B&R instance just for FLR tasks is also a workaround.