Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kpax
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KPax

Veeam Backup Copy and 2 Synology's

Post by kpax »

Hey Guys,

I have 2 Synology storage devices, one at HQ and one at a plant. I would like to have Backup copies sent to both. The VPN link between HQ and Plant is 10/10.

The question is, what is better?

Having Veeam ship backup copies locally to HQ Synology AND have Veeam use the WAN accelerator to ship Backup copies to the Plant.

OR

Use the WAN Accelerator locally to store Backups copies to the HQ Synology and use replication on the Synology device directly to ship the backups to the Plant?

I have a concern about overburdening my Veeam server, as is making GFS restores takes some to just one Backup copy device, I would think having 2 devices doing GFS restore points, one offsite would be burdensome.

If I can use the WAN acceleration locally to ship shrunken backups to my local Synology and use Synology replication to ship those shrunken backups over the VPN to the Plant Synology I think ill be saving my Veeam server a lot of strain.

What do you guys think?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Backup Copy and 2 Synology's

Post by foggy »

Could you please clarify, would you like to use the HQ Synology as a primary backup storage (sending initial VM backups to it) or you have some other storage for that and want to use Synology as a secondary storage and also replicate backup copies offsite?
kpax
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KPax

Post by kpax »

Thanks for the reply foggy,

you are correct, i already have a primary veeam repo (super micro server with DAS) this would be to add an additional layer of resiliency to my existing backups. My HQ has a few buildings and with a gbe connection between them. The HQ Synology is a couple buildings over from the main DC. i would like to have backup copies in both the hq and the plant location.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then you need direct backup copy job to HQ Synology (without WAN acceleration) and then either another (WAN accelerated) backup copy to the second device or use built-in Synology replication (what works faster/better). You would need a gateway server/WAN accelerator located close to the remote device that will perform actual processing of data on it. Select the repository as the source for the second copy job, not the first backup copy job.