Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Veeam Backup Essentials - License Limit Query

Post by kewnev »

Hello,

I realise that a Veeam Backup Essentials (VBE) license protects a maximum of 50 workloads. I have looked around and I can't seem to find what defines the scope of this limit. Is it limited per company, or per backup server, or some other method? Let's say for example a company with two separate sites, but they are part of the same AD domain. They each have their own two-node vSphere clusters, and each of these two clusters have their own VB&R servers protecting the cluster at that site. In such an situation could we purchase two separate VBE instances, each allowing a maximum of 50 workloads, or is the 50 workload limit imposed for the company as a whole?
While I'm here, another related question. Some third-party sites seem to mentioned that VBE has a 6-CPU limitation. However, I cannot seem to find anything about that in Veeam's online license information. Is this 6-CPU limit a thing?

Many Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2311 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Backup Essentials - License Limit Query

Post by Mildur »

There are two Essentials Edition.
One is socket based and has this 6 socket limits.
The other is workload based and has the 50 VUL limit.

Veeam will not sell your company a second essentials Edition if your company have already one. My reseller told me always, that it is not possible. 1x Essentials per company. Makes sense to me.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Fabian is correct here, you will need new license that covers both sites workloads - two essentials licenses won't be allowed. Thanks!
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Post by kewnev »

Thanks for clearing that up.