Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Veeam backup for the VBR database

Post by sandsturm »

Hi all

I use a separate MSSQL server to host my Veeam database, it's not collocated on the same machine. Configuration backup is configured, so that the backup file is on a fileshare (not hosted on the veeam server). My question is now: Can I create a Veeam backup of the VBR database anyway? And can I change the recovery model of the VBR database from Simple to Full and create an application aware backup of this MSSQL server or do I'll encounter problems if I change the recovery model of this database?

thx,
sandsturm
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam backup for the VBR database

Post by foggy »

You shouldn't encounter any problems, since Veeam B&R excludes its own database from VSS processing. Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

I don't want to exclude the Veeam DB from processing. The thing is, that I want to create a backup of the Veeam database. Is that not possible?
heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

Post by heavy »

Why don't you just use the built-in Configuration Backup? That's essentially a database dump
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

I would also recommend sticking with the configuration backup since this is the only officially supported method for performing backup and restore of the B&R server.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

I use the configuration backup. But due to our internal process for MSSQL DB backups, the Veeam DB would be an exclusion within the process (organisational process) and therefore we need to configure special tasks around this DB, which would't be necessary if I just backup this DB with Veeam :-) Thats the reason for my question :-)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

It's not recommended to use Veeam Backup Jobs to backup B&R database. See here. Configuration backup is designed for this purpose.

Thanks
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Maybe using a standalone Windows agent (not integrated into the VBR console) on the MSSQL server in question would allow for backup of the Veeam database if that's needed for internal IT policies?

Joe
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

that could be an option, thanks