Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ensermo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Ensermo

[ID# 03838977] Veeam backup of Linux Server Failes with Invalid snapshot configuration. See logs for details.

Post by ensermo »

I created a support case [ID# 03838977] Veeam backup of Linux Server Failes with Invalid snapshot configuration. See logs for details.
But this was closed due to high team load and therefor not being able to process it.
I read the rules for posting but it is not clear to me if I am allowed to post here for support or not when not being able to use the courtesy support.

I want to try to find out why it stopped working but need someone to point me into the correct log files as there are many log files regarding veeam.
Do I look at the log files locally where the Linux agent is or do I have to look at logfiles on the Veeam BR server?

Here is what has happend.
From a Windows 7 machine we did a daily backup of a Debian Linux Server. (This was working for a few weeks)
(We are a small department and use Veeam to backup 1 physical server and 3 virtual machines)

Because of security we have to upgrade our Windows machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10. (This is the machine that had Veeam B&R running with all functionality).
After the update we had to update our Veeam B&R from version 9.54.2723 to 9.54.2866.

After this update we receive the following error when performing the Linux backup.

Invalid snapshot configuration. See logs for details.

But I am not sure where to search. I have created an Export of the Logs.
But where do I start searching (there are many files).

Can you point me into the right direction?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: [ID# 03838977] Veeam backup of Linux Server Failes with Invalid snapshot configuration. See logs for details.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, free products that cause error messages for whatever reason have lower priority in support than customers that have purchased a product.

It's very unlikely that someone can guess the reason but let's start with the basics.

you mention "linux agents" and you mention virtual machines.
1) which hypervisor do you use? VMware ESXi or Hyper-V?
2) VMs should not be backed up with agents. Did you try VM backup instead of agent based backup?

For the logfiles: I use notepad++ on Windows and search through c:\programdata\veeam\... and on Linux just grep in /var/log/...

Best regards,
Hannes