Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StuartTipton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart Tipton

Veeam Backup & Replication 6 - Archive Bit

Post by StuartTipton »

Hi

I've been a viewer of this forum for a while, but felt I should jump in as I can't find the precise answer for a question I have.

I'm designing a solution which will use Veeam Backup & Replication 6 to replicate a small number of virtual machines from a single data ESXi host in data centre 1 to a single ESXi host in data centre 2. In a POC it all works as expected, without any problems.

However, I'm now trying to layer in a service wrap, which includes a backup service. The backup service will run inside the VM in a full/incremental configuration.

I'm now slightly concerned that the archive bit will be reset during the replication cycle, every time it runs to prevent a typical incremental backup - is this the way it works, or do I have this completely wrong?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication 6 - Archive Bit

Post by Gostev »

Hi Stuart, Veeam does not use archive bit to track the changes. So, if you are talking about backing up and replicating the same VM, this is fully supported and does not cause any issues. Thanks!
StuartTipton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart Tipton

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication 6 - Archive Bit

Post by StuartTipton »

Hi

Thank you for your response. I initially considered the replication to use snapshot technology to manage the replication, but I later had doubts. Thank you for your clarification.

Regards

Stuart