Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Veeam Backup & Replication Cloud Edition

Post by ddockter »

I currently have a license for VBR 7 and am interested in doing a trial of the Cloud Edition. Is this just a license key that I need to add to my exsiting VBR server or do I need to do a separate install on another VM? Also anyone willing to share their experiences using this product would be helpful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication Cloud Edition

Post by Gostev »

License key plus additional component (Veeam Cloud Backup) installed on your B&R server.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

ddockter wrote:Also anyone willing to share their experiences using this product would be helpful.
If you shed a light on how you're going to use CE, we will be able to provide you with necessary advice. Thanks.
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Post by ddockter »

I am thinking about using it to store my backups on a Cloud service rather than on tape.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, no problems with it, you should create a corresponding backup plan, selecting required backup job as a source for it and required cloud as a target. More information regarding it can be found in the CE User Guide.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

No problems if your backups are reasonably small (1TB or so), otherwise the files will be taking too long to upload to make this a feasible solution. For larger backup files, putting Veeam backup repository in the cloud will be much better solution - this beats "dumb" cloud storage hands down.
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Post by bunger »

Gostev wrote:No problems if your backups are reasonably small (1TB or so), otherwise the files will be taking too long to upload to make this a feasible solution. For larger backup files, putting Veeam backup repository in the cloud will be much better solution - this beats "dumb" cloud storage hands down.
Is the Cloud version required to allow the repository to be stored in the cloud or can this be done with the non-cloud version?

What would you recommend if the implementation would require local backups AND backups to the cloud?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

bunger wrote:Is the Cloud version required to allow the repository to be stored in the cloud or can this be done with the non-cloud version?
Cloud edition is required if you're going to send backups directly to one of the supported public storage clouds and open cloud storage platforms. Putting Veeam B&R backup repository onto a rented computer residing in the cloud can be performed with the regular Veeam B&R edition (basically, Cloud Edition includes all the functionality you get with Veeam B&R).
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Bill,

What type of cloud you're talking about? If you're just renting Windows based machine in the public cloud and have connection to it, then, you can simply add this machine to the backup server as the backup repository and use it later as a target for backup copy job, for instance. In this case, the Cloud Edition won't be even required.

Thanks.