Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaFresh
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric Lemarchand

Veeam backup repository and distributed file system

Post by DaFresh »

Hello,

I am in the process of evaluating distributed storage solution for storing Veeam backup files, as the time pass backup are growing fast, managing single name spaces become painful, a wast of time and space (actually got 3 linux servers totalising 200To). I am aware of the recent veeam feature scale out repository, but I need this solution to act as a NFS server as well.

Any idea ? does anybody had successfully use in production something like Ceph or Gluster as Veeam repository ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam backup repository and distributed file system

Post by PTide »

Hi,

A datamover that is deployed on a repository interacts with its filesystem not directly but via OS. In other words, you can use any filesystem you want until the operating system on the repository knows how to handle it.

P.S. Hadoop as a Veeam repository

Thanks
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Cedric,
I have personally seen several service providers using Ceph as their Veeam repository, usually mounting RBD as a block device into a Linux machine, that is then used as a linux repository in Veeam. I talked with one provider using Gluster, but had no additional information about their satisfaction with this solution.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

Thanks for inputs guys. The things that really bother me is not really if it will works or not, in the way every POSIX compliant FS will be supported by the Veeam Linux Agent, but more how those kind of storage solutions handles the Veeam files transformation phases, which require a lot of IOPS. Distributed files system has different pro and cons, and sometime are not designed the handle such type of workloads (eg random IOPS), this is why I ask if some people already has successful experiences with such configurations ;-)
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

So, I actually have a POC running with GlusterFS, it works well and seems to be promising even if I have no visibility on how a real backup workload (ie multiple To) would be handle, as the test job does only few hundred Go.
It runs on 3 nodes (virtual), the GlusterFS volume is in erasure coding 2+1, and a gateway serveur that mount the storage cluster as a local file system, used as a Linux repository.

I am surprised that nobody use such configuration which seems great, which make me a bit not confident.

Luca did you have some more informations ? any input will be greatly appreciated.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Cedric, sorry but no, I've seen some test deployment of GlusterFS used a repository but never arrived to producion. Can't tell however to be honest if the project was dropped because of performance or issues, or because of other reasons. In one case it was a side-by-side comparison with Ceph and ceph was selected at the end.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kellen Flood

Post by Kellen.Flood »

@dellock6 Has Veeam seen any more installs leveraging GlusterFS?
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Not a single one since I wrote the previous post, sorry.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1