Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RGijsen
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Veeam.Backup.Satellite.exe connecting to online resources, why?

Post by RGijsen » Feb 27, 2019 10:23 am

Hi,
we've recently moved to a new Veeam server (9.5 u4), migrated the config and all running well. However, we locked it down this time, it's not domain joined anymore and it does not have internet access. Since revoking access to the internet, it takes 2-4 minutes to start the backup console. When I check my firewall logs, Veeam.Backup.Satellite.exe tries to connect to several IP's, like 95.101.39.8 and 104.18.21.226, but there's certainly more. I have NOT enabled the 'Update license automatically' option, which I figured wouldn't work anyway without internet connection.
I've not found any other options for telemetry or anything. So honestly I find it a bit fishy. Why would Veeam want to connect, what is it trying to send or get? Is there an extensive list of where Veeam needs to connect to, and even more so why it has to?

P.Tide
Product Manager
Liked: 459 times

Re: Veeam.Backup.Satellite.exe connecting to online resources, why?

Post by P.Tide » Feb 27, 2019 11:36 am

Hi,

Satellite.exe is a proxy-process between veeam service and UI.

Code: Select all

Name: a95-101-39-8.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
Address: 95.101.39.8
Do you use Amazon in any shape or form with that VBR installation by any chance? Or any cloud providers that may be running on Amazon infrastructure?

Thanks!

RGijsen
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by RGijsen » Mar 01, 2019 6:59 am

Sorry, didn't turn notifications on. No, we don't use any cloudservices at all. We backup solely to a dedicated SAN, and to a remote repository over a VPN link, which is initiated by the main firewall. That's transparent to Veeam.
Can it have anything to do with Veeam trying to report? It's slow as hell to start the console now, and it warns me every time I should send reports to Veeam, which I don't want. It's not that I don't trust them, it's more that I want to know what I'd be sending.

P.Tide
Product Manager
Liked: 459 times

Post by P.Tide » Mar 01, 2019 10:21 am

I'd suggest to open a case with support team then so they can troubleshoot both issues (performance + IP addresses). Please post your case ID in this thread when the case is opened.

Thanks