Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jdaristizabal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Aristizabal

Veeam backups and other CBT uses

Post by jdaristizabal »

Hi,

I am evaluating the new feature of Veeam that uses CBT to enable incremental backups. I also run a custom perl script every day that using CBT queries the amount of changes made on a particular VM.

I am wondering if this script will interfere with the Veeam operation; from what I understand every time I take a snapshot a changeId value is obtained, which will be compared later on with a snapshot reference to obtain the block changes. But what I am uncertain of is the number of valid changeId values that VMware supports.

In other words, the moment Veeam runs it probably will use a changeId that was generated a long time back (since my script keeps snapping the VM) and it might mess the backup process, maybe forcing a full backup instead of an incremental backup.

Any information is appreciated,

Juan Aristizabal.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam backups and other CBT uses

Post by Gostev »

Hello Juan, no - your script will not interfere with Veeam Backup operations. It is absolutely normal that ChangeID increases multiple times after our product makes backup - due to snapshots or other activities (snapshots is not the only action that increases ChangeID on a VM). Whether you create snapshots with scripts, or manually in VIC, this of course won't brake Veeam Backup's use of CBT. Thanks!
jdaristizabal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Aristizabal

Re: Veeam backups and other CBT uses

Post by jdaristizabal »

Great news!, thanks for the quick reply Anton.