Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kstark
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kyle D. Stark

Veeam backups are failing

Post by kstark »

Our backups began failing last month with this error message:

"Repairing backup from previous rollback Repair of backup "virtual-machine" machine was unsuccessful Text FromTar failed Client error: can not open '24b5a631-b97a-4b67-8633-c74be4b121d0 (vm-11096)\summary.xml' in '\\storage\veeam\backup-name2010-07-02T183049.vrb' "

Then, in the last week or so the error message has changed to:

"Retrieving VM files information Unable to process VM because it has 2 or more virtual disks with delta-disks on different datastores. To process this VM, either place virtual disk files on one store, or use VCB or VDDK backup mode."

We have been working with our vendor that sold us on this setup, to no avail, and I'm tired of waiting for them to decide it's convenient to work on. Any help, or insight that you can provide is much appreciated.

If you need more info, let me know and I'll provide it as needed.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam backups are failing

Post by Gostev »

Hi Kyle, are you working with our support on this issue? What is the support case number?
kstark
Novice

Post by kstark »

I have been working through the company that set this up for us (CFC Tech), but I'm not aware of a support number, or if we have a support session open.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I think it would be best to open the support case directly. Please shoot email to support@veeam.com, and attach logs of failing jobs to save 1 turnaround.
kstark
Novice

Post by kstark »

Will do on Monday, Thanks for your input Gostev.
kstark
Novice

Post by kstark »

Wound working with someone from veeam support and it looks like we got our issue resolved. This was what support had me try

"I do not see any references to hung snapshots on the VMs in your logs but possibly there still is some misconfiguration in the VMX file or something? Could you try running the job with vStorage API mode and choose Network from the drop down? The Network Backup option you are using in this log is for older versions of ESX (version 3.5 update 5 or older) and works on older technology. Possibly this is causing your problem and running through the API with vStorage API mode can circumvent this issue."

Worked like a charm and got our backups rolling again!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thank you for updating the topic, glad that you're up and running. That's right, vStorage API is the single best choice for using with vSphere hosts.
kstark
Novice

Post by kstark »

My follow up question would be the following.. I have some jobs running that have not been failing and running using the 'older' Network Backup option. Should I go ahead and switch them over to the vStorage API mode as well?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to use vStorage API Change Block Tracking and other features, I would defintely recommend you to switch to vStorage API - Network or Virtual Appliance mode. If you choose Virtual Appliance mode, then it should give you much better performance speed compared to Network backup job mode.

For more information please refer to our FAQ section. Thanks!
kstark
Novice

Post by kstark »

Thanks Vitaliy, I'll check out those two options in the FAQ and determine the best route for our system.