Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rci8300
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Admin

VEEAM CLOUD BACKUP - SLOWWWWW

Post by rci8300 »

I have a storage account with Windows Azure and presently using Veeam Cloud Backup to send the backups to Windows Azure. We have a 100Mbit symmetrical internet connection.

Firstly, all jobs queued for backup to azure never average more than between 2.0MB/Second and 2.5MB/Second or around 20Mbits/sec when uploading. We have done test with nothing on the link and speeds do not increase.

I don't know if this is throttled by Azure or is this a limitation of the software, but something is going on. Took this one step further. I have a fiber optic connection at home at 175Mbit symmetrical and have experienced the same speed limitations using either Cloudberry Explorer for Azure Blob Storage or Veeam Cloud Backup (Also based on Cloudberry) Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is this is normal? If so, why are there these limitations on speed?

So faced with this limitation on speed, we manage to backup about 130GB (This is a collection of Backup Plans) sending to Azure. None of the .vbk files are over 30GB. These are transferring successfully, but painstakingly slowwww and currently fit the backup window and transforms. We have two huge .vbk's over 450GB that have been uploading for appx a week, if they have not finished when my transform happens, what then??? What about all the .vbi and .vbr's to follow?

If anyone is backing to Azure with Veeam Cloud Backup, have you faced these limitations and how have you solved them? If anyone is using Amazon or other cloud provider with greater speeds, I would love to hear about it. Has anyone encountered file size limitations when uploading to the different cloud provider storage blobs?

We bought this product to save our backups to the cloud and we cannot seem to backup our two most critical servers as of this moment, after 5 days uploading to Azure between 1-2 MB/Sec, we are at 20%, looks like we are never gonna get there.

Any input appreciated, thanks!
cloudberryman
Technology Partner
Full Name: Andy

Re: VEEAM CLOUD BACKUP - SLOWWWWW

Post by cloudberryman »

Hi

Do you have any firewall or antivirus software on your computer or in your network environment? They can prevent long transfers for unknown applications.

Please make sure following exes are included into the list of trusted applications in the firewall/antivirus settings:

- CBBackupPlan.exe,
- CloudBerry Online Backup.exe,
- CloudBerry.Backup.Scheduler.exe,
- cbb.exe

Let me know if it helps

Please also open a case, upload the logs and include support case ID in the post.

Thanks
Andy
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by johnlong »

I know this may not be of much help to you but here goes. I use twinstrata to backup to google and over a 20mbps connection I believe I can upload 400gb+/- in under 3 days or so. The nice thing about twinstrata is you have a local cache, in my case 1tb, so the veeam backups finish very fast.
bendretread
Lurker
Full Name: Tim

Post by bendretread »

I am experiencing this issue as well. Backups to Amazon S3 are painfully slow. Current rate is under 2mb/sec & estimated completion time is 4+days.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tim, can you also please check Andy's reply above and follow his recommendation on the troubleshooting steps required?
bendretread
Lurker
Full Name: Tim

Post by bendretread »

My Firewall is turned off. No AV installed. Running on Windows Server 2012 Std.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Tim. Did you have a chance to open a ticket with our support team, so that, they can take a look at your environment and understand the possible causes of such behaviour? Thanks.
jc_gmk
Novice
Full Name: James Cook

Post by jc_gmk »

Old ticket I know but I have been having the same issue.
The problem is azure has a limit of 200GB for blob uploads and therefore the uploads never finish.
You have to break down the backups to produce smaller vbk files.

I have broken down most of my backups now but am struggling to break down the last one which is currently around 320GB, still looking for a solution for this.
Azure works ok for everything else just wish they'd up their limit!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Assuming you use "Advanced Mode" Cloud Edition segments file automatically (10MB chunks by default) so that any size file can be uploaded to Azure or any other object storage.
jc_gmk
Novice

Post by jc_gmk »

I am using 'advanced mode' however my 320gb vbk file always takes days the eventually stops.
I have 11 other cloud backups running, all about 120gb and they all work perfectly.

Is there anything else you can suggest?
What is the recommended chunk size to use based on the amount of data i am uploading?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

James, have you contacted technical support with that, as it is advised above?
jc_gmk
Novice

Post by jc_gmk »

I haven't yet, I wanted to find out if anyone else has managed to upload a .vbk >200gb to Azure.

I had contacted them to ask if Veeam cloud could upload as a pageblob rather than a block blob as there is no limit on page blobs, however the answer was no.