Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam cloud backups not overwriting

Post by MGT1981 »

Hello,

I am running into an issue with a client of mine regarding veeam cloud connect backups and i am guessing i have something configured wrong.

Here is our scenario

Onsite
we have 8 VM's backing up to a local NAS, every night the backups run as an incremental with a synthetic full run on Saturday's. We have the backups set to retain 14 restore points

Cloud
A backup copy job runs every day, the backup is set to retain 7 restore points and 4 weekly backups for archival purposes.

For some reason if i right click on the cloud repo and look at my stored backups it is showing 5 weekly "full" backups and 13 nightly incremental s . The problem is that the repository is not overwriting so it is filling up and we have had to expand it twice. Is there a button i am missing somewhere to allow the weekly's to overwrite themselves? By the time the weekly fulls get to the cloud repository they are about 700 GB each (after dedupe and compression) and the nightly's are only 20 GB or so, however somehow we have managed to fill up a 4 TB cloud repository with backups that should be only retaining for 4 weeks

Also, if i check the "transform previous backup chains into rollbacks" button on the on site job my understanding is that i will save space in my cloud repository, but what do i lose doing this ?

Any other input/suggestions would be great
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Veeam cloud backups not overwriting

Post by Gostev »

Hi, please join Cloud & Service Providers forum group to get access to the dedicated forum for our services providers, as all service provider specific discussions should take place there. As for the issue above, please open a support case so that they could review your configuration as well as debug logs to see why retention is not being processed according to your expectations.

The check box does not apply to Backup Copy jobs (only to primary jobs), so it will not affect disk space usage in the cloud repository.

Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

The user is registered as a partner but not as a service provider, probably they are consuming cloud connect offered by another service provider?

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by MGT1981 »

Yes Luca, that is correct. I will open a case and have support look at it.

Also Gostev, thanks for clarifying regarding the checkbox. I will not bother, just as an FYI though I got the info from this blog on a Cloud Connect partner site

http://blog.iland.com/cloud/blog/veeam- ... nts-costs/
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This blog post talks about a regular forward incremental backup job with periodic synthetic fulls to remote repository, not backup copy job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Indeed, this blog does not apply to your situation, as it talks about a primary backup job.